From:
"F. Scott Ophof" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Scott Ophof
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 15:56:59 -0500
 >Barry Caplan wrote:
 >> I also can not remember ever see anyone one else ever turn images off, at

I use Lynx as browser, exactly because it provides ONLY text.

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999 11:40:12 -0500 Jeff Brandenburg said:
 >I do it partly to improve speed, but mostly to avoid *animated* GIFs.
 >The greatest drawback is that this renders some sites unusable.
 [...]
 >I originally left images off because I wanted as much speed as I could
 >get, and because the information I wanted was usually text-oriented.
 >While I'd prefer to continue browsing this way, I'm encountering more and
 >more sites that are unusable without images (no ALT tags, navigation only
 >by imagemaps, etc).  THOSE are the sites I prefer to blow off with
 >prejudice, but sometimes I have no choice but to plow into them.

Speed is one of my main reasons.  As to those sites that are unusable
without images, well, tough luck for those sites is my opinion.
I won't use them (even if I could), and will find my info in other ways.
A friendly note to their webmaster requesting usable ALT tags seems the
only solution.

 >I might turn images on and off more frequently, but for two misfeatures
 >of NS 4.0x.  First, it's no longer a first-level menu option; I have to
 >wander down to the "Preferences..." choice, expand one of the left-hand
 [...]

Am I glad that I don't have - or need - NS (or IE)!
Try the RexxLA newsletter (at URL in my .sig), and see whether the ALT
text there is usable (enough).

Regards,
$$/       F. Scott Ophof        <[log in to unmask]>
REXX enthusiasts:  The RexxLA newsletter is at http://www.RexxLA.org
===>  Unsolicited e-mails will be charged $3000/KB, $5000 min.  <===