From:
Marc Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marc Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 16:11:21 EDT
I have often clicked on the reset button in a
>hurry
>(which I often am in, while filling a form), and then excruciatingly filled
>the whole goddamn thing all over again.

So, do the mistakes of some hasty users justify leaving out the redo option
on forms? Is an occasional mistake the reason to get rid of useful things?
What if some users delete files or copy files to the wrong destination --
does that mean it would be better to get rid of Delete or Copy?
I do think it's a good idea to design for hurried users, i.e. concise,
quickly scannable text and a clear, intuitive navigation system, etc.
However, I doubt that we ought to take out certain important options,
because of impatience or haste.

>I hardly see a good reason for the button to be there, and if you do put it
>because of your beliefs or contextual requirements, PLEASE make it much
>much smaller and far removed from the SUBMIT button.

I agree that separating it from the Submit button makes sense.
"Much smaller" might interfere with the principles of readibility, since
most Submit buttons are not that large to begin with.

>And stick to the names: "SUBMIT" and "RESET". The following is the biggest
>problem with web sites:
>
>(These might be synonymous to -- "SUBMIT", "RESET" -- but confuse the user
>like hell --)
>"GO GET IT", "CHANGE DETAILS"
>"SEND IT NOW", "UNDO INFORMATION"
>etc..
>
>Regards
>Shashank
>
>------
>Shashank Tripathi
>http://shanx.com

The last point is the one I disagree with the most. I personally never use
"submit" in everyday conversations. I checked a dictionary (Webster) and it
has the following 3 meanings: 1. yield, 2. refer to another, 3. propose.
One usability heuristic is "match between system and real world", i.e. speak
the users' language. Maybe I am wrong, but I believe "submit" is a leftover
term from the early days of computer science. So, do we stick to it because
it's old?
I prefer either "send" or, when appropriate, a context-specific solution,
e.g. "get quote" if you filled out a form for a quote on a car.

Marc Crawford

Information Architect & Web Usability Consultant