Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2013 06:40:02 +0000
Sender:
From:
Juergen Steimle <[log in to unmask]>

  Visions and Visioning in CHI

  Special Interest Group (SIG) Meeting at CHI 2013

  Call for Participation

Do visions and the process of creating them have a place in CHI, or are they simply flights of fancy?

This Special Interest Group (SIG) meeting provides a forum for visionaries, researchers and practitioners looking to consider the place and importance of visions within CHI. Can visions, the process of visioning and forming new visions help us refine, advance or develop new research or forms of interaction? And if visions are important to us, then are they part of the regular academic process? What are the appropriate venues for visions? Should CHI stimulate the presentation, discussion and publication of visions?

The intention of this SIG is to raise the awareness, interest and considered use of visions and visioning in the CHI community. We are interested in mapping out existing visions, which can be of use in CHI and discussing the need for new visions. In this we aim to critique where visions have been used in foresight activities. We also seek to explore how and where the visioning process can be of use, before, during and after research is undertaken.

More information can be found here: http://visionsofcomputing.org

== How to participate ==

1) Starting right now:

A wiki is available at http://visionsofcomputing.org. We invite you to contribute your thoughts, experiences and research results that are related to the questions and topics above. Our idea is that the wiki becomes a lively forum for discussion before and after the SIG meeting. At this point, the process is deliberately unstructured, so that everybody has the opportunity to bring up topics and questions to influence what will be discussed at the SIG meetings and what will be follow-up activities. In order to get write access to the wiki, please send a message to Aaron Quigley [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

2) At CHI in Paris:

Everybody is cordially invited to participate to the in-person meeting, which is going to take place during the main conference of CHI 2013 in Paris:

Thursday, May 2, 14:00 - 15:20

No prior registration is required.

== Organizers ==

* Aaron Quigley, University of St. Andrews
* Alan Dix, University of Birmingham
* Wendy E. Mackay, INRIA Saclay Ile de France
* Hiroshi Ishii, MIT Media Lab
* Jürgen Steimle, MIT Media Lab and Max Planck Institute for Informatics