From:
Abdallah Namoun <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Abdallah Namoun <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2012 12:28:29 +0100
Call for Participation

EUD4Services’2012
3rd International Workshop on End User Development for Services -
Grand Challenges For Research
www.eud4services.org/Workshop2012/

to be held in Capri Island (Naples), Italy
on May 21, 2012
in conjunction with
AVI2012:  Advanced Visual Interfaces
http://www.avi2012.it/

The Third International Workshop on End User Development for Services
focuses on the challenges in applying End User Development (EUD) ideas and
principles to the area of service-oriented software design and
construction, aiming to create a roadmap of the area.

We are driven by the realisation that the uptake of EUD within the SOA
paradigm is hampered by insufficient communication between researchers
working in service-oriented software and those from the EUD community, a
manifestation of their divergent interests and difference in backgrounds.
 We aim to address this gap by formulating a set of challenges of common
interest, and a roadmap of work in the area integrating both perspectives.

Two previous workshops charted the territory of existing tools and research
systems, and created a community of researchers and practitioners working
in the area of EUD4Services.

We would now like to invite the current and prospective members of the
growing EUD4Services community to join us for a day of productive debate on
May 21st, at the very start of AVI’2012 on the beautiful island of Capri.
 The discussions on the day will be driven by the following agenda (for
updates please see workshop website):

9:00 - 9:30 Welcome and Registration

9:30 – 9:45 Introduction to the day – Antonella de Angeli and Nikolay
Mehandjiev

9:45 - 10:45  Keynote talk by Professor Gerhard Fischer, University of
Colorado Boulder (details below). Discussion of issues raised by the talk.

10:45 – 11:00 Coffee

11:00 – 13:00 Presentations and Discussion of Preliminary Challenges (see
below)

13:00 – 14:00 Lunch

14:00 – 14:45 Conclusions regarding Challenges to EUD4Services (see below).

14:45 – 15:15 Introduction of the EUD4Services Framework by the organisers

15:15 – 15:30 Coffee break

15:30 – 16:45 Roadmap – Mapping challenges to the framework, brainstorming
the roadmap.

16:45 – 17:30 Future steps and close. Discussion of Special Issue on the
topic (details to be confirmed)

KEY NOTE PRESENTATION
Professor Gerhard Fischer from the University of Colorado at Boulder will
deliver a keynote presentation on domain-oriented design and meta-design in
the context of user-driven software development. Gerhard is well known for
his work in design environments and meta-design.

RESEARCH CHALLENGES

The list of challenges below will serve as a focus for the workshop
discussions, and will form the backbone of the planned workshop results.
The list was created by fusing our review of the area with the submissions
of a number of contributors acknowledged at
www.EUD4Services.org/Workshop2012/files/7.htm  .

Tools simplification
Contributors highlighted the complex nature of contemporary web services
and the associated standards, stressing the negative effect this has on the
usability of environments which aim to support the development of
service-based applications. The connection between services was categorized
as taking place at three levels: directly between service components in a
style exemplified by BPEL, between service components and the overall
application, and directly mediated by the user interface. The latter two
were perceived to lend themselves better to EUD activities, yet appropriate
user-centric design combined with semantic reasoning technologies can
produce tools which can also support specifying service connections to the
direct connection level.
In addition, our existing observations show these models are
person-specific, since they are influenced by education, level of
programming skills and work background. Therefore another challenge is to
choose between finding a general representation suitable for all users, or
the alternative of allowing the representations used by service development
tools to be personalized for different users and different contexts.

Domain-specific tools
One approach to resolving the technical complexity is to create tools which
“speak the language of the user” reflecting the terminology, concepts, and
rules (the domain) the user is comfortable with [1]. The idea underlying
this approach is to give up on generality to focus on the specific
knowledge of the user, creating tools which are grounded on the tasks at
hand.
The domain-specific approach requires an in depth analysis of the work
practices in the specific domain to be supported. It relies on the user
domain experience, which is used as main design metaphor to create
artifacts operating upon familiar information, concepts and processes.

Personalisation
Personalizing the representation of services and their connections to the
different users is believed to reduce the cognitive gap between the
representation of the service application and the mental model an
individual user has of that application. Creating mechanisms allowing such
personalization was perceived by our contributors as one of the key
challenges of the area, requiring advances on a number of issues:
(a)    Tool architectures allowing radical personalization of interface
elements;
(b)   Automatic mechanisms for personalization;
(c)    Creating a system of user profiles linked to best representations
and level of functionality exposed.

Context-customisation
Similar issues also arise when customizing a service development  tool to
context – we need to devise a customizable structure of the tool, we need
to design mechanisms allowing automatic customization, and we need to
create a taxonomy of context attributes which influence the tool to a
sufficient degree to warrant customization.
Another dimension of using context is to enable the service applications
created by end users to adapt to context of deployment.  For this we need
to represent user-relevant context elements and the effect they have on the
service application in a way comprehensible by our end users, and devise
mechanisms for turning low-level context sensor events into meaningful
high-level context information. This relates to the challenge of semantic
tagging which also featured in the contributions to challenges submitted by
our participants.

Semantics of Services
Another major challenge is related to service discovery. With the
proliferation of available services, successful end user discovery and
consumption requires the development of user-oriented notations for
describing the service functionality, performance, reliability, costs and
other attributes.  The use of ontologies and semantics for service
specification is a mature area of research which as of yet is not concerned
with the specific requirements of users who do not come from technical
background.
Another challenge included the use of semantics to facilitate service
composition. Once the data consumed and produced by services is
semantically tagged, we can use logic reasoning to semantically connect
different services and automate the construction of different service
application and activation of other systems. In such a system (e.g. [4]) an
end user would be able to create service applications by just selecting
from a shortlist of compatible services for the different tasks in the
application, a shortlist which is automatically prepared by the system.

Collaboration and Support
It is accepted that the tools for end users developing service applications
should support the social aspects of annotating, discovering and using
services to compose them in working applications, then sharing this
applications and the experience of creating them with the user community.
The challenge is to design appropriate social mechanisms allowing social
support and sharing of design artifacts, and to provide support for these
within end user-oriented service development systems and approaches.
Another challenge would be to study users working together on annotating a
service or creating a service application, and, accepting the role of
semantic annotations of services and designs  as a contextual and cultural
mediator, to identify appropriate representations for a specific domain or
a specific group of users.

PROCEEDINGS
The papers and presentations will be available on the workshop website, as
well as a report of the main output from the workshop. At present we are
applying to hold a special issue of a journal (details to be confirmed once
we have formal acceptance of our proposal) in the area of end user
development for services. It is hoped that the discussions on the workshop
will form an important input into this special issue, and will help
participants shape reports on their existing research into papers fitting
the theme of the issue.

ORGANISERS
Antonella De Angeli, University of Trento, Italy
Nikolay Mehandjiev, University of Manchester, UK

SCIENTIFIC SECRETARIAT
Abdallah Namoun, University of Manchester, UK

CONTACTS
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
website: www.eud4services.org/Workshop2012/

--