From:
Jason Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2012 00:36:29 +0000
Call for Papers: Organic Experiences: (Re-)shaping Interactions with
Deformable Displays -- A CHI2013 workshop.

Website: www.scc.lancs.ac.uk/deformable2013
Submission deadline: January 11, 2013

The next generation user experiences will rely on visual and physical
output technologies that extend beyond the rigid, flat surfaces with
which we are familiar to produce devices that both users and machines
can deform and shape. Such experiences will allow users to physically
push, pull, bend, fold, or wrap devices to facilitate new modes of
interaction and better represent content.

This workshop will provide a forum to examine the three primary themes
of research in this area: prototyping and implementation, interaction
and experience design, and evaluation. It will bring together an
interdisciplinary group of academic and industrial researchers to define
the current and future challenges of crafting organic user experiences
with deformable displays.

We invite you to submit a 2-4 page position paper that describes current
work, future directions and significant challenges in the domain of
interactions with deformable displays to support Organic User
Experiences. We also encourage participants to bring along prototype or
product demonstrations relevant to the workshop themes (please add a
note to your paper if you are able to do this). Ensure your paper
describes which of the one or more workshop themes best captures your
area of work.

Please indicate which of the position paper authors will attend the
workshop. Places are limited and we may need to cap the number of
attendees per accepted paper. At least one author from each accepted
paper must register for the full workshop and at least one day of the
conference.

Workshop Structure:

The two-day workshop will allow a morning or afternoon to explore each
of the following key topics: Current Knowledge and Visions for the
Future, Prototyping and Implementation, Interaction and Experience
Design, and Evaluation. Proposed activities include keynote speakers,
technical demonstrations, hands-on prototyping, ideation and scenario
development. Further details will be available on the website.

Workshop Organisers:

- Jason Alexander (Lancaster University)
- Ryan Brotman (Intel)
- David Holman (Queens’ University)
- Audrey Younkin (Intel)
- Roel Vertegaal (Queens’ University)
- Johan Kildal (Nokia Research)
- Andrés Lucero (Nokia Research)
- Sriram Subramanian (University of Bristol)

Key Information:

- Website: www.scc.lancs.ac.uk/deformable2013
- Format: 2-4 pages ACM Extended Abstracts Format
(http://chi2013.acm.org/authors/format/#extendedformat)
- Submission: by email to [log in to unmask]
- Submission Deadline: January 11, 2013
- Notification: February 8, 2013
- Workshop: April 27 and April 28 2013 (two days)