Sender:
From:
Tom Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:42:11 -0600
*** CALL FOR PARTICIPATION (Please forward as appropriate) ***

CC&T Workshop on: "Sustaining Community: The role
and design of incentive mechanisms in online systems"

At the 2nd International Conference on Communities and Technologies
13-16 June 2005, Milano, Italy

* THE TOPIC *
What makes communities grow and prosper, or wither and die? In this
workshop we'll explore this question by taking a close look at how
incentive structures interact with short and long term viability.
We'll address questions such as "What motivates participants to
contribute?" "What social and technical mechanisms support (or deter)
contribution?" and "How and to what extent can designers design
sustainable communities?"

* THE CONTENT *
We are interested in open source communities, community-managed
discussion spaces like Slashdot, social network-based communities
such as Orkut, open content communities like Wikipedia, group blogs,
"real world" communities, and other similar environments.

* THE PARTICIPANTS *
Our hope is to attract participants from a wide range of disciplines
including anthropology, computer science, economics, interaction
design, psychology, sociology, and so on.

* THE FORMAT *
Our goal is to raise questions and begin answering them from the divers
directions supplied by the approaches of the attendees. The workshop will
be highly interactive with minimal presentation of the position papers.

* TO SUBMIT *
See  http://www.cct2005.disco.unimib.it/Workshop-H.htm for a
complete description and submission information

* IMPORTANT DATES *
08 April - Position papers due
22 April - Accept/Reject decisions made
13 May   - Early registration deadline
13 June  - Workshop

* THE ORGANIZERS
Jason Ellis, Christine Halverson, Tom Erickson
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center

* FOR MORE INFORMATION *
- For the full description and information on submission requirements see
   http://www.cct2005.disco.unimib.it/Workshop-H.htm
- For general information about the CC&T conference see
   http://www.cct2005.disco.unimib.it/
- To contact the organizers write to

Tom Erickson
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
Email: [log in to unmask] (preferred); [log in to unmask](IBM confidential)
http://www.visi.com/~snowfall/