Sender:
From:
Jason Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:36:10 -0400
!! Submission deadline fast approaching -- September 12 !!

*** CALL FOR PARTICIPATION (Please forward as appropriate) ***

Group 2005 Workshop on: "Sustaining Community: The role
and design of incentive mechanisms in online systems"

At Group 05: International Conference on Supporting Group Work
6-9 November 2005, Sanibel Island, Florida, USA

* THE TOPIC *
What makes communities grow and prosper, or wither and die? In this
workshop we'll explore this question by taking a close look at how
incentive structures interact with short and long term viability.
We'll address questions such as "What motivates participants to
contribute?" "What social and technical mechanisms support (or deter)
contribution?" and "How and to what extent can designers design
sustainable communities?"

* THE CONTENT *
We are interested in open source communities, community-managed
discussion spaces like Slashdot, social network-based communities
such as Orkut, open content communities like Wikipedia, group blogs,
"real world" communities, and other similar environments.

* THE PARTICIPANTS *
Our hope is to attract participants from a wide range of disciplines
including anthropology, computer science, economics, interaction
design, psychology, sociology, and so on.

* THE FORMAT *
Our goal is to raise questions and begin answering them from the divers
directions supplied by the approaches of the attendees. The workshop
will be highly interactive with minimal presentation of the position
papers.

* TO SUBMIT *
See http://www.acm.org/sigs/siggroup/conferences/group05/SC.html for a
complete description and submission information

* IMPORTANT DATES *
12 September - Position papers due
04 October   - Accept/Reject decisions made
08 October   - Early registration deadline
06 November  - Workshop

Note: The first two dates are provisional; and may change once the early
registration deadline is announced.

* THE ORGANIZERS *
Jason Ellis, Christine Halverson, Tom Erickson
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center

* FOR MORE INFORMATION *
- Full description and information on submission requirements see
     http://www.acm.org/sigs/siggroup/conferences/group05/SC.html
- General information about the Group 2005 conference see
     http://www.acm.org/sigs/siggroup/conferences/group05/
- To contact the organizers write to