From:
Mary Czerwinski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Czerwinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:40:45 -0700
Dear Colleagues,

It is our pleasure to announce that the registration for UIST 2005 is now open!

http://www.acm.org/uist/

Early registration is open until September 10, 2005, and late registration is available until Oct. 10th, 2005.  Rates do go up after the early registration deadline so we recommend registering early!

Conference

UIST 2005 in Seattle, WA October 23-26, 2005
We are happy to announce that UIST 2005, the Eighteenth Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, will be held in Seattle, Washington from October 23-26, 2005.

UIST is the premier forum for innovations in the software and technology of human-computer interfaces. Sponsored by ACM's special interest groups on computer-human interaction (SIGCHI) and computer graphics (SIGGRAPH), UIST brings together researchers and practitioners from diverse areas that include traditional graphical & web user interfaces, tangible & ubiquitous computing, virtual & augmented reality, multimedia, new input & output devices, and CSCW. The intimate size, the single track, and comfortable surroundings make this symposium an ideal opportunity to exchange research results and implementation experiences.

Join us in Seattle!

Patrick Baudisch & Mary Czerwinski
UIST 2005 General Co-chairs

http://www.acm.org/uist/

Hotel
The Westin Seattle is your front door to the Emerald City, the jewel of the Pacific Northwest! An ideal urban retreat, it is just steps away from the Washington State Convention Center, Pike Place Market, and Seattle's most enticing shops.
The Westin Hotel is one of only two hotels in the city offering unobstructed views of Puget Sound, Lake Union, and the Seattle skyline. After a day of meetings and sightseeing, relax and unwind in the elegant Lobby Bar, featuring a full-service bar and flat-screen TVs. For breakfast or lunch stop by the Fifth Avenue Corner Cafe for light fare and snacks.
Enjoy modern elegance in the Westin's newly renovated lobby, the "heart of the hotel." WiFi Internet access and a cozy gathering space make it perfect for hosting a casual meeting or simply catching up with friends.
We have reserved a block of rooms at the special conference rate of $169/night per room (single or double occupancy). The Hotel will honor the group rate for reservations in excess of the room block, based on availability. Reservations must be made by Sunday September 24 to obtain this rate.
Note: Please be sure to register at the conference hotel. UIST receives complimentary use of hotel meeting rooms only if we meet our attendee guest room quota. If we do not meet the quota, we are obligated to pay substantial rental fees for the meeting rooms, which will result in scaled-back food service this year and significantly increased registration fees next year. So, please stay at the conference hotel.
Hotel reservations for The Westin may be made in any of three ways, in each case being sure to mention "ACM UIST 2005":
* Phone: Call the Westin Reservations Department at (206) 728-1000  and
* Online:  Westin Online Reservations
* Fax: Send to (206) 728-2259

Conference Committee
General Chairs:
Mary Czerwinski &
Patrick Baudisch
Microsoft Research

contact us at:
marycz[at]microsoft.com
baudisch[at]microsoft.com

Treasurer:
Linda Sibert
Naval Research Laboratory

Sponsorship Chair:
Brad Myers
CMU

Proceedings Chair:
Scott Klemmer

Proceedings DVD Chairs:
Anne Schur
Wanda Mar
Pacific Northwest Laboratory

Student Volunteer Chairs:
Meredith Ringel Morris
Stanford University
Steve Voida
Georgia Tech

Publicity Chair:
Wolfgang Stuerzlinger
York University

Program Chair:
Dan Olsen
Brigham Young University

Posters Chairs:
Jan Borchers
RWTH Aachen University, Germany
Jeff Pierce
Georgia Tech

Demonstrations Chairs:
Takeo Igarashi
Tokyo University, Japan
Andy Wilson
Microsoft Research

Doctoral Symposium Chair:
Scott Hudson
CMU

Registration Chairs:
Hong Hua
University of Arizona
Xiaolong Zhang
University of Arizona

Program Committee
Program Chair:
 Dan Olsen, Brigham Young University

Committee Members:
Ravin Balakrishnan - University of Toronto
Patrick Baudisch - Microsoft Research
Michel Beaudouin-Lafon - Universite Paris-Sud
Ed Chi - PARC
Saul Greenberg - University of Calgary
Ken Hinckley - Microsoft Research
Jason Hong - Carnegie Mellon University
Kori Inkpen - Dalhousie University
Rob Jacob - Tufts
Scott Klemmer - Stanford
Joe Konstan - University of Minnesota
Rob Miller - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Brad Myers - Carnegie Mellon University
Chris Schmandt - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Chia Shen - Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories
Ian Smith - Intel Research Seattle
Thad Starner - Georgia Tech
Pierre Wellner - IDIAP, Switzerland
Andy Wilson - Microsoft Research