From:
Rob Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rob Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:44:52 -0400
Workshop on Human-Computer Interaction and Information Retrieval
October 23, 2007

Hosted by MIT Computer Science and AI Lab (CSAIL) and Endeca Research
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA

Web site: http://projects.csail.mit.edu/hcir/
Contact: Michael Bernstein and Robin Stewart at [log in to unmask]

As our lives become ever more digital, we face the difficult task of
navigating the complex information spaces we create. The fields of
Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) and Information Retrieval (IR) have
both developed innovative techniques to address this challenge, but
their insights have to date often failed to cross disciplinary
borders. In this one-day workshop we hope to explore the advances each
domain can bring to the other.

Researchers and practitioners are invited to present ideas, research
results, work in progress, and system demonstrations related to the
intersection of Human Computer Interaction (HCI) and Information
Retrieval (IR). The intent of the workshop is not archival
publication, but rather to provide a forum to build community and to
stimulate discussion, new insight and experimentation.

Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
* Novel interaction techniques for information retrieval.
* Modeling and evaluation of interactive information retrieval.
* Exploratory search and information discovery.
* Information visualization and visual analytics.
* Applications of HCI techniques to information retrieval needs in
specific domains.
* Ethnography and user studies relevant to information retrieval and access.
* Scale and efficiency considerations for interactive information
retrieval systems.
* Relevance feedback and active learning approaches for information retrieval.

Demonstrations of systems and prototypes are welcome. Authors should
indicate whether they intend to present demonstrations, and whether
they have any particular technical needs. Authors should submit
abstracts (1 to 2 pages) to [log in to unmask] no later than September
30, 2007. The workshop program will be published by October 7, 2007.

Workshop Chairs: Michael Bernstein (MIT), Robin Stewart (MIT)

Program Committee: David R. Karger (MIT), Rob Miller (MIT), Daniel
Tunkelang (Endeca)

The workshop is jointly organized by MIT CSAIL and Endeca Research.