From:
Susan Wyche <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan Wyche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2011 14:17:12 -0400
CALL FOR WORKSHOP SUBMISSIONS
We are excited to announce our call for submissions for a workshop at The 2012 ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW). Please consider submitting your work!
Learning from Marginalized Users: Reciprocity in HCI4D
Workshop at CSCW 2012 (http://www.cscw2012.org/)
February 12, 2012
Seattle, Washington

Submissions due on Nov. 25, 2011.

For details:http://www.susanwyche.com/cscw.workshop/

Organizers: 																																		Susan Wyche, Virginia Tech, Computer Science Department																							Elisa Oreglia, U.C. Berkeley, School of Information																								Morgan Ames, Stanford University, Department of Communication																						Chris Hoadley, New York University, Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development													Aditya Johri, Virginia Tech, Department of Engineering Education																					Phoebe Sengers, Cornell University, Information Science/ Science & Technology Studies															Charles Steinfield, Michigan State University, Department of Telecommmunication, Information Studies, and Media

Workshop Description and Goals
Users in the developing world continue to appropriate Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) in pioneering ways. Take, M-Pesa, the popular mobile money transfer system developed in Kenya. This example demonstrates how innovative applications emerge from users in resource-constrained settings. The goals of our workshop are twofold: 1) to uncover more of these examples and 2) to discuss how they can influence design in developed countries. We welcome submissions that reveal innovative ICT practices occurring among marginalized populations, including those in developing countries, the urban homeless, rural Americans, migrant communities, and so forth. In addition to position papers, we encourage photo- or video-essays that highlight innovative uses of ICT among marginalized users. Practitioners, designers, and other who do not typically present their work at academic conferences are highly encouraged to submit to the workshop.

Please contact Susan Wyche as [log in to unmask] if you have questions.

Thank you!

Susan P. Wyche, PhD
Computing Innovation Fellow at VaTech's Center for Human Computer Interaction
http://www.susanwyche.com/