From:
"Juan E. Gilbert" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Juan E. Gilbert
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2012 13:23:54 -0500
FYI,

***

How might we design an accessible election experience for everyone?

We are calling on everyone, including voters, non-voters, election
officials, people with disabilities, designers, engineers, and students,
to help us make elections more accessible for everyone.

*We invite you to join us in this challenge.*

Read more below or visit us at:
http://www.openideo.com/open/voting/brief.html

*What is the challenge?*
We are searching for creative answers to the question: How might we
design an accessible election experience for everyone?

Here's how the process works. We start by trying to better understand
the problem. Over the next few weeks, everyone will be invited to help
us research the issues and share their experiences. We are sharing
stories, insights and examples of voting systems or experiences that
might relate to elections and accessibility.

In a few weeks, we'll start focusing on brainstorming solutions. Along
the way, there will be opportunities for feedback and to refine concepts
and solutions.

You can join the challenge at any time. The discussion is always open.

*Who should participate?*
Everyone is encouraged to participate. Everyone. That includes you!

To participate, go to: http://www.openideo.com/open/voting/brief.html

*Why are we hosting this challenge?*
We believe elections can be made more accessible for people with
disabilities and anyone else who faces barriers to participating in
democracy.

All of the ideas generated by this challenge will be made freely
available to anyone who wants to implement them. For example, Los
Angeles County elections officials will be following this challenge in
their pursuit of a modern voting system. In L.A. County alone, your
ideas during this challenge can help improve the voting experience for
4.5 million voters.

*Who is hosting the challenge?*
The Information Technology and Innovation Foundation (ITIF) is a
non-profit think tank at the cutting edge of designing policies that
will boost economic growth and improve quality of life in the United
States and around the world. The ITIF Accessible Voting Technology
Initiative is a project funded by the U.S. Election Assistance
Commission (EAC) to make voting processes and technology more
accessible. We are partnering with OpenIDEO on this challenge. OpenIDEO
is an open innovation platform that taps into the scale of social
networks to tackle challenges for social good. This challenge is one way
we are exploring new ideas for improving elections. For more about our
project, go to http://elections.itif.org <http://elections.itif.org/>.

*What should you do next?*
To start, read the challenge brief
(http://www.openideo.com/open/voting/brief.html) to get a sense of the
scope and direction for the challenge.

Then head over to OpenIDEO
(http://www.openideo.com/open/voting/inspiration/). Browse through some
of the ideas that have already been posted. Create an account, and you
can add your own comments to the discussion, or post an Inspiration of
your own.

We're relying on your input to ensure that the work we do together is
thoughtful, grounded, and has a real potential for impact.

*Is the site accessible?*
The OpenIDEO team is working to improve the accessibility of the site.
We know it's not optimal, but they are working to get there. If you have
ideas or comments to improve the OpenIDEO site, write to
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>and the community managers
will make sure your feedback is heard.

--
Juan E. Gilbert, Ph.D.
IDEaS Professor&  Chair