From:
Daniela Rosner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniela Rosner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2012 22:09:17 +0100
*Alt.Chi: Call for Participation*

A schedule of all due dates can be found on the Submissions page:
http://chi2013.acm.org/authors/call-for-participation/alt-chi

*Quick Facts*
alt.chi consists of both external and invited submissions
Submission deadline: 9 Jan 2013 (23:59 PST)
Discussion period: 16 Jan - 3 Feb 2013
Notification: 11 Feb 2013
Camera-ready deadline: 17 Feb 2013
Submit to: alt.chi submission system: http://altchi.org/

Submission format: Camera-ready, 10 page paper in Extended Abstract Format (
http://chi2013.acm.org/authors/format/), including an abstract of no more
than 100 words and a brief submission history of the paper. Optional 5
minute video figure. The work should be submitted to the alt.chi submission
system (http://altchi.org/). Submitted papers will be openly discussed by
members of the CHI community in an online discussion forum. Authors are
welcome and encouraged to invite members of the community to discuss their
paper.
At the conference: presenters have a 15-minute slot (including questions,
stop after 12 minutes).
Archives: Extended abstracts; DVD and ACM Digital Library

*What is alt.chi?*

alt.chi formed with the CHI program committee’s recognition that sometimes
innovative and insightful work goes unrecognized through the standard
process of review. Particularly where methodologically far afield, or
critical of accepted practices, promising contributions may be
systematically overlooked. Therefore, as part of a commitment to bring
forth the year's best work on human computer interaction, the program
committee provides a procedural intervention in the conventional selection
process: alt.chi.

*Message from the alt.chi Chairs*

alt.chi 2013 proudly continues the tradition of bringing substantive,
thought-provoking, original work to CHI through an alternative approach.
alt.chi is appropriate for submissions that prove difficult to assess
through mainstream procedures, whether for reasons of methodology or
content. Forum discussion allows dialogue about the potential significance
of a submission, and Juried
<http://altchi.org/2013/login.php?action=jury&>selection insures that
high standards for excellence are maintained.
alt.chi hosts some of the most audacious and insightful presentations at
the conference. This is the avant-garde of CHI.
Therefore, we invite the submission of bold, compelling, critical, and
innovative works that challenge or re-imagine human computer interaction
research and design. alt.chi 2013 is methodologically inclusive and accepts
reports, analyses, designs, and systematic inquiries – whether
quantitative, qualitative, or both. Especially encouraged are works that
speak to the conference theme of “changing perspectives” through
explorations of areas currently outside the center of the field. alt.chi
2013 is an opportunity to re-shape the conversation by introducing a
vibrant intellectual community to a new way of doing work. We invite you to
change the game.

Daniela Rosner, Stanford University (soon University of Washington)
Amanda Williams, Wyld Collective, Ltd

*Preparing and Submitting your alt.chi Submission
*
Submissions must be formatted in Extended Abstract Format:
http://chi2013.acm.org/authors/format. Submissions may not be more than 10
pages long, and the abstract within the Extended Abstract should be no
longer than 100 words. alt.chi submissions should not be accepted or under
review anywhere else while in submission.

We welcome completely fresh submissions tailored to the specific goals and
values of alt.chi. However, authors may also submit controversial or
compelling work not accepted in other tracks. In particular, authors of
highly discussed papers that are submitted but not accepted into the CHI
Papers and Notes track may be invited to submit their work to alt.chi. In
these cases, authors will be asked to submit the reviews that their CHI
submission has previously received, along with a brief explanation of why
they believe their paper will be a good fit for alt.chi.

Between the system’s opening and December 31st, authors may request
assistance from a volunteer English Review Service.

*Optional Video Figure*

Your submission may be accompanied by a short digital video figure or
interactive illustration that is up to five minutes in length and no more
than 100 MB final data size. Since not everyone who reads the paper may
view the video figure, your submission must stand on its own without the
figure, and will be reviewed as such. Some guidelines for creating video
submissions can be found at: Guide to a Successful Video Submission.

*alt.chi English Review*

Alt.chi aims to attract unusual, interesting, thought-provoking work to be
presented at CHI. Though we always select high-quality content, we
encourage diversity in thinking, methodology, and application area -- we
want to attract presenters that you might not otherwise encounter at CHI!
We’re all about removing barriers to the presentation of great work, and
one of those barriers involves language. We want to ensure that submissions
to alt.chi are judged on the merits of the ideas, not the grammar of the
writing.
If you want to take advantage of our English review service, here’s what
you need to know:

In order to request English review, email your paper draft to
[log in to unmask] The subject line should include the phrase
“[alt.chi english review]” -- if it doesn’t include this, we don’t
guarantee a quick response.
The alt.chi submission deadline is 9 January. We ask authors who want to
use our English review service to send drafts between 15 December and 31
December. We will ask that English reviewers return reviewed drafts by 4
January in order to give the authors enough time to revise.
English reviewers are providing an editorial service focused on grammar and
clarity -- they are not providing feedback on the content of the submission
(that happens later, during the discussion period).
Requests will be treated on a first-come, first-served basis. The sooner
you send your request for English review, the sooner your work will be
reviewed.
After receiving an English review from our volunteers, it is up to you to
alter your submission according to your reviewer’s suggestions.
The English review service does not directly affect your submission's
acceptance or rejection.
Our English reviewers are volunteers; please be patient.
The English review service does not alter the submission process. You must
complete your submission before the deadline, even if you have not received
any feedback from the English Review Service team.

We hope you find this service to be genuinely helpful. This is a pilot
program. We only tried this at CHI once before, and can’t guarantee that
we’ll be able to continue this service indefinitely. Your feedback will
help us decide how to handle this going forward.

*alt.chi Decision Process*

alt.chi is Juried <http://altchi.org/2013/login.php?action=jury&> for CHI
2013. During the period between submissions and notifications, members of
the CHI community will be invited to discuss the submission in a public,
non-anonymous, forum*. Anyone who is interested will be able to view and
discuss your work. Authors will be encouraged to invite appropriate members
of the CHI community to comment on their work, and the alt.chi committee
will also invite discussions. We want to encourage discussion and debate on
what makes a good alt.chi (or regular CHI) submission, and, ultimately,
what makes for a fruitful conference experience. After the discussion
period, a jury of experts will evaluate the work based on:

How compelling it would be to an open-minded CHI audience.
How well it embodies alt.chi’s values of creativity, criticality,
reflection, and originality.
The nature of the discussions that the submission produced.

The jury will be selected and named by the beginning of January 2013.
*all reviewers will be required to consent to a review agreement prior to
participating in the selection process.
http://altchi.org/2013/login.php?action=jury&

*Upon Acceptance of your alt.chi Submission*

Authors will be notified of acceptance or rejection by 11 Feb 2013. Final
versions of accepted Extended Abstracts must be uploaded to PCS by 17 Feb
2013.

*At the Conference*

All accepted alt.chi papers will be presented at the conference.

*After the Conference*

Accepted alt.chi papers will be distributed in the CHI Conference Extended
Abstracts, available at the conference on DVD and in the ACM Digital
Library, where they will remain accessible to thousands of researchers and
practitioners worldwide.