From:
Erik Stolterman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Stolterman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2014 08:35:47 +0100
*CALL FOR PROPOSALS*
*INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF DESIGNS FOR LEARNING*
*SPECIAL ISSUE ON HISTORIC DESIGN CASES*

Guest Editors: Craig D. Howard & Colin M. Gray

Unlike other design fields, instructional design has not had a sustained
interest in documenting cases from the past and engaging in our design
history in a substantive way. When we think of technology, we generally
look forward--to what is possible in the future of technology in education,
but it is equally as instructive to look at how far we have come and the
individual designs that, as a collective, have impacted where we are now.
Many of the same challenges we face in the ecology of modern technologies
can be seen in technological leaps from instructional design's past:
video-based instruction, systemic curricular moves (e.g., SRA Reading Lab,
the "new math"), educational entertainment (e.g., Sesame Street, Bill Nye
the Science Guy), and the dawn of the graphical user interface and personal
computer (e.g., instruction for the Macintosh, developing for the PLATO
system) to name a few. Many of these designs have directly and indirectly
informed our contemporary design practice, and illustrate many of the
challenges of designing for intentional change.

In this special issue, we turn our focus to both the near and distant past
of instructional design and technology, addressing designs intended (or
used) for learning both in informal and formal learning--inside the
classroom, and in our everyday lives. This special issue brings our field
to the standard of precedent-building common in other design disciplines,
refocusing our attention on marking significant milestones in design
innovation, celebrating the often unrecognized breakthroughs instructional
design and technology has had in its past. While some artifacts have been
preserved, our collective knowledge of what instructional design is in the
present has often been embodied in designs which themselves have been
forgotten. To begin the process of documenting these past designs, we
invite authors to submit design cases of designs used and/or intended for
learning from 10-75 years ago, which are deemed to be of importance to the
field.

Some examples of appropriate historic designs might include:

   - *Designs that changed our understanding of what learning could be* (e.g.,
   Airborne satellite learning, early collaborative websites, Sesame Street
   Workshop)
   - *Designs that highlighted the affordances of specific technologies
   when they were in their infancy* (e.g., PLATO system, remote teaching
   through closed circuit TV)
   - *Designs which failed, either in their initial implementation, or
   which failed to "catch on" *(e.g., computerized instruction in the
   1990s, the "new math")
   - *Designs which serve as the basis for modern categories of educational
   technology* (e.g., learning management systems, SRA reading lab)
   - *Instructional components of mass-market devices* (e.g., training for
   emerging technological products, such as Apple's click-and-drag instruction)
   - *Designs created out of a specific felt need for a specific type of
   learning* (e.g., "murder houses," bespoke designs)

*SUBMISSION TYPES*
*Full Design Case*
5000-7000+ words, with as many multimedia and/or visual elements as
available. The goal of this submission is to not only visually and
textually explain the experience of the design, but also how it came to be
the way that it is. Depending on the age of the designed artifact or
experience, this may come through interviews with designers, stakeholders,
and/or users, analysis of related artifacts surrounding the design/design
process, or reconstruction based on previously published marketing and/or
academic materials. Your abstract should include the targeted design, its
relevance, and any resources you will need to locate.

*Brief Design Case*
500-1500 words, a primarily visual presentation of a design with
accompanying text used to annotate and explain the artifact and its
experience as depicted in the images and/or video. Your abstract should
include the targeted design, and any existing resources that you are aware
of.

*IMPORTANT DEADLINES*
April 30, 2014: Submit 250 word abstract by email
May 14, 2014: Acceptance of abstract:
July 1, 2014: Submit Full paper/brief paper
August 14, 2014: Notification of Acceptance
September 14, 2014: Final Manuscripts
November 2014: Projected Publication

*ABOUT IJDL*
The International Journal of Designs for Learning is a multidisciplinary,
peer-reviewed online journal is dedicated to publishing descriptions of
artifacts, environments and experiences created to promote and support
learning in all contexts by designers in any field.

The journal provides a venue for designers to share their
knowledge-in-practice through rich representations of their designs and
detailed discussion of decision-making. The aim of the journal is to
support the production of high-quality precedent materials and to promote
and demonstrate the value of doing so. Audiences for the journal include
designers, teachers and students of design and scholars studying the
practice of design. This journal is a publication of the Association for
Educational Communications and Technology.

More information on submissions for this special issue is available at:
http://scholarworks.iu.edu/journals/index.php/ijdl/announcement/view/68

Questions and abstract submissions may be directed to the guest editors:
Dr. Craig D. Howard ([log in to unmask]) and Colin M. Gray (

*Professor in Informatics*
*School of Informatics and Computing*

*Indiana University, Bloomington*http://transground.blogspot.com/