From:
"Eric P. S. Baumer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric P. S. Baumer
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2014 09:34:53 -0500
*** Deadline Friday, January 17 ***

Refusing, Limiting, Departing: Why We Should Study Technology Non-use
Workshop at ACM CHI Conference
Saturday, April 26, 2014
Toronto, ON, Canada
http://nonuse.jedbrubaker.com/

Most research in human-centered/social computing focuses on when and how people
use technology. We argue that examining non-use – when and how people do not use
technology – is an equally informative line of inquiry. This workshop will
consider the theories, methods, foundational texts, and central research
questions in the study of non-use. In addition to a special issue proposal, we
expect the research thread brought to the fore in this workshop will speak to
foundational questions of use and the user in HCI.

The workshop will center on discussion and agenda-setting around four guiding foci:
- discussing theoretical grounding
- identifying methodological approaches
- creating a living bibliography
- crafting a research agenda.
The outcomes of these discussions will be used as the basis for proposing a
special issue of a journal on non-use as an important theoretical concern.

We request that participants submit 2-4 page position papers in the HCI Archive
format that describe how non-use relates to their research, with an eye toward a
longer piece that could be included in a special issue. Papers should include at
least one suggestion for the living bibliography and speak to at least one of
the guiding foci (theories, methods, or research agenda) of the author’s
choosing. Papers will be accepted based on originality, quality, and how well
they represent a range of disciplinary perspectives. Submissions from outside
the HCI community (e.g., science and technology studies, the humanities,
sociology, and others) are strongly encouraged. We will ask workshop attendees
to engage in a week of reflexive technology non-use to inform workshop
discussion sessions.

Limited support is available to defray costs for students and junior academics
who are at the periphery of or outside the CHI community. Please contact the
organizers for further information.

Papers may be submitted via email to: [log in to unmask]

Important Dates:

- Submission Deadline - January 17, 2014
- Notification of Acceptance - February 10, 2014
- Workshop at CHI - April 26, 2014

Organizers:

Eric P. S. Baumer, Communication Department, Cornell University
Morgan G. Ames, Intel Science and Technology Center for Social Media, University
of California, Irvine
Jed Brubaker, Department of Informatics, University of California, Irvine
Jenna Burrell, School of Information, University of California, Berkeley
Paul Dourish, Department of Informatics, University of California, Irvine