Sender:
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2012 09:16:28 -0300
From:
Kirstie Hawkey <[log in to unmask]>
We are still accepting position statements for our upcoming
Collaboration in Managing Computer Systems workshop at GROUP, to be
held on Sunday, October 28th.

Please submit by September 26th, so that we can send out acceptance
notices prior to the October 1st early registration deadline

http://chimit.acm.org/events/group-2012/

ACM GROUP 2012 Workshop on Collaboration in Managing Computer Systems

Collaboration in Managing Computer Systems
Workshop at ACM Group 2012 | Sanibel Island, Florida | October 2012

Call for Participation

Computer systems exist to achieve human goals, such as communication,
creativity, and information retrieval. Computer management is the set
of those tasks that divert us from our goals: configuration,
installation, troubleshooting, etc. Enterprises must maintain large
numbers of people whose entire job is management, and it seems that
all of us spend more time than we’d like keeping our computers
running.

Collaboration is critical to the management of computer systems. This
is true at every scale, whether it is our parents asking us for help
when “the internet isn’t working,” ourselves searching for the meaning
of obscure error messages online, or the teams of specialized
enterprise administrators who must work closely together to monitor,
understand, and maintain the large IT infrastructures that keep modern
society going. User studies of enterprise administrators and IT
security practitioners have shown that they engage in an incredible
amount of collaboration, and that it is imperfectly supported by
existing tools. Users also engage in collaborative practices when
managing their home networks.

Following in the footsteps of the interdisciplinary ACM CHIMIT
symposium (a venue for research in all areas relevant to HCI and the
management of information technology), we are holding a one-day
workshop at GROUP, focusing on collaboration in computer management.
This workshop’s goal is to bring together researchers, designers, and
practitioners who study or have experience in collaboration and
computer management. Our goal is lively discussion and exploration of
how the latest collaboration research could be applied to reduce the
effort of keeping computers working.

Topics for submissions include, but are not limited to:

Tools and techniques for improved collaboration, including social
networking for sharing complex system information and awareness.
User studies of real-world collaboration in computer management.
Experience reports by practitioners and researchers.
Computer supported cooperative work – in enterprise IT, how do those
who manage an organization’s IT interact with the users they support,
their technical community, and other stakeholders?
Knowledge Repositories – how can shared knowledge improve computer management?
Processes and practices – examples of best practices and improved
processes for collaboration in IT management.
One possible workshop outcome is to write a paper describing the state
of the art of collaboration tools and research for the domain of
computer management. Participants would frame this paper during the
workshop, and complete it following GROUP for submission to a suitable
venue (e.g., ACM Interactions), and/or publication on CHIMIT’s web
site (http://chimit.acm.org). If sufficient novel and interesting work
is submitted, it might be developed for eventual submission to an
appropriate journal special issue or published under the auspices of
CHIMIT.

Participation & Contribution Guidelines

In order to foster maximum interaction, the number of participants
will be limited to between 15 and 20 people. Participants will be
selected based on refereed position papers. Contribution categories
are as follows:

Those with a general interest in the area will be asked for up to 2
pages (regular SIGCHI format) describing their background and
potential contributions.
Those with specific research contributions, either proposed or
completed, may have up to 5 pages (regular SIGCHI format).
This workshop will be one-day. The schedule will be dependent on the
number and type of contributions, but will include time for the
organizers to frame the problem space, participants to describe their
positions, and everybody to discuss how to synthesize these positions
into coherent work going forward. Audio/visual equipment should
include a projector to help people share their ideas.

Dates subject to change based on conference registration deadlines,
but will be approximately:

Position papers due: September 21  ** extended to September 26th **
Notification of acceptance: September 24 (1 weeks before GROUP early
registration deadline, October 1)
Workshop: October 28
Please submit your position paper or work-in-progress to the
organizers via e-mail, at eben (shift-2) acm.org, and hawkey (shift-2)
cs.dal.ca.

Organizers

Kirstie Hawkey is on the Faculty of Computer Science at Dalhousie
University. During her post doctoral research at The University of
British Columbia, she worked on the HOT Admin project, which
investigated the human, organizational, and technological aspects of
IT security work. In addition, she has served on the program committee
and as program chair and general chair (2011/2012) for ACM CHIMIT. She
is currently investigating how interactive visualizations and system
models help system administrators in their work.

Eben M. Haber is a research staff member at IBM’s Almaden Research
Center. He spent much of the last decade studying enterprise IT
administration, including undertaking field studies, developing
prototype tools, and designing new features for middleware management
products. He has filled organizational and program committee roles for
ACM CHIMIT 2008-2011 (including general chair in 2009), and is a
co-author on the forthcoming Oxford University Press book, “Taming
Information Technology: Lessons from Studies of System
Administrators.”

--
Kirstie Hawkey
Assistant Professor