From:
Mark Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:58:41 -0500
We have extended the submission deadline for our workshop to Friday 24th
January. Come along to think about the ways technology can take into
account our biological rhythms!

*Biological Rhythms and Technology*

http://pac.cs.cornell.edu/rhythms/<http://pac.cs.cornell.edu/rhythms/%22%20%5Ct%20%22_blank>

=======================

CHI 2014 Workshop

Sunday, April 27, 2014

9.00am – 6.00pm

Toronto, Canada.

*Deadline Extended:  24th January 2014*

Organizers

==========

Mark Matthews, Cornell University, USA

Erin Carroll, University of Rochester, USA

Saeed Abdullah, Cornell University, USA

Jaime Snyder, Cornell University, USA

Matthew Kay, University of Washington, USA

Tanzeem Choudhury, Cornell University, USA

Geri Gay, Cornell University, USA

Julie Kientz, University of Washington, USA

We are constantly changing. Every week. Every day. Every minute. Our bodies
coordinate many physiological and mental changes to help us adapt to our
environment. As a consequence of these fluctuations, we can be more suited
to certain types of activities at specific times of the day. Disruptions of
our rhythms can have serious impacts on our sleep, productivity, and
well-being. In spite of these natural fluctuations, the technologies we use
to work and to communicate respond identically throughout the day to our
interactions. However, a new class of technologies has emerged that takes
our biological rhythms into account.

This interactive workshop will bring together researchers interested in
designing technologies to support biological rhythms. We invite
participants from a range of disciplines (including sleep, well-being, and
mental health) to take part in this workshop to discuss the design and
development of technology to support individual rhythms; social impacts of
measuring these physiological, behavioral, and mental changes; and feedback
interventions to help people become more aware of these changes. The goal
of the workshop is to create a community around incorporating an awareness
of biological rhythms into the design of technology.

Important dates

===============

•   *Submission Deadline: 24th Jan 2014*

•   Notification: 10 Feb 2014

•   Workshop day: Sunday 27 April 2014

How to participate

==================

Submit a 2-4 page paper in the ACM Extended Abstract format about your
ongoing work, recent results, or study methods related
to biological rhythms. At least one author from each accepted paper must
attend the workshop and all participants much register for the workshop and
attend at least one day of the conference.

Submissions should be submitted via EasyChair or sent in .pdf format to
biologicalrhythms.CHI2014[at] gmail.com<http://gmail.com/%22%20%5Ct%20%22_blank>
.

For more info: http://pac.cs.cornell.edu/rhythms/<http://pac.cs.cornell.edu/rhythms/%22%20%5Ct%20%22_blank>

Program Committee

Anthony Pisani, University of Rochester Medical Center, Department of
Psychiatry

James Fogarty, Computer Science & Engineering, University of Washington

David Coyle, Department of Computer Science, Bristol University

James Landay, Cornell Tech, NYC

Michael Herf, f.lux™ Software