From:
Murray Crease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Murray Crease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:21:24 +0100
Apologies For Any Multiple Postings

*** REMINDER ... SHORT PAPER DEADLINE APPROACHING ***
*** REGISTRATION NOW AVAILABLE ***

Colloquium Call for Participation:
"Building Bridges: Interdisciplinary Context-Sensitive Computing"

Place and Date:
9th September 2002
Senate Room, University of Glasgow.

Programme:
We have an interesting and varied selection of speakers organised. Final
programme is available at
http://gcg.dcs.gla.ac.uk/workshop/BBICSC_Programme.htm

Registration is now available at
http://gcg.dcs.gla.ac.uk/workshop/BBICSC_Registration.cfm

Aims and Topics:
BB-ICSC is a one day workshop bringing together research scientists from
different research areas concerned with Context-Sensitive system design.
The aim of this workshop is to build bridges between these disciplines in
order to:
 identify the impact each of these domains may have on the other domains
in the area of context-sensitive computing,
 build mechanisms to facilitate communication across boundaries of
expertise and discipline, and
 articulate research problems that require contribution from two or more
research areas.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
 Interaction: what can we do with interactive applications that sense
data? What mechanisms are required to exploit, present and manipulate
sensed data? How can data be presented in a multiple media based
application using multiple interaction paradigms (e.g. AR, VR, Web based,
etc.) simultaneously?
 Design: Which methods / languages / models should be used to describe the
combination and integration of physical and digital entities? Which
characteristics have to be taken into account? How can these
characteristics be represented? How can these representations be evaluated?
 Software Technology for Sensing: What are the architectural requirements
for best supporting the integration of software aspects required to sense
data? How can we generalise the transfer, communication, transformation,
etc. of sensed data?
 Devices: What do we need from context-sensing devices? How does the
choice of device affect the design of context-sensitive systems?

Participation and Submission:
We are looking for contributions that discuss results or problems which,
although focused on one of the topics of interest described above, are
likely to be of interest to other communities. Papers may, for example,
illustrate when collaboration with one of the other communities would be
useful or when work in one area impacts upon that in other communities. All
authors should therefore keep in mind that contributions should be
understandable by participants from all communities.

Participation in this workshop requires the participant to submit either a
position paper of up to two pages presenting their own activity or
experience in the field of Context-Sensitive system design or a more
substantial paper of up to 6 pages describing their activities in more
detail. The workshop organizers will select participants based on a review
of submitted position papers, taking into account scientific quality and
relation to the workshop topics.

Accepted papers will be compiled into a working document delivered to all
the participants of the workshop. A selection of long papers will be chosen
for presentation at the workshop and/or publication. Papers should be
submitted by email to [log in to unmask]

Web Site: http://gcg.dcs.gla.ac.uk/workshop

Number of Participants: We intend to limit participants to around 50.

Important dates:
 Position paper submission (up to 2 pages): August 30th 2002
 Participants will be notified of acceptance shortly after the submission
deadline.
 Registration is now available

Organisers
Murray Crease, University of Glasgow Department of Computing Science
Emmanuel Dubois, University of Glasgow Department of Computing Science
Philip Gray, University of Glasgow Department of Computing Science
Martin Bartos, University of Glasgow Centre for Mathematical and
Computational Science in Medicine

Note: A 'Mobile Computing in Medical Context' workshop will be held in the
same place September the 10th. Attendees of the BB-ICSC workshop may attend
to the second workshop without having to submit another position paper.
Please look on the web page for more information.