CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
From:
William Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 12:24:48 -0000
Posted on behalf of Bill Osborg [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

Interesting article. Superstitials aside, the increasing use of pop-up
windows for advertising will, I suspect, mean that more users will
ignore
(and immediately close) the new windows, just as they currently ignore
banner ads. For interface designers, this means we need to think twice
about
using the pop-up window as an alternate method of displaying content. If
we
do use them, then it'll be important to make it clear to the user that a
new
window will be opening, and that they should expect the content they've
asked for to appear in that window. Otherwise, it'll be a recipe for
frustration for all.

Unicast's web site describes the Superstitials process fairly clearly,
but
fails to mention whether or not a user's browsing experience is
interrupted
when the movie is fully loaded and begins playing (although I assume it
would be). Must the user stay and watch the full movie before the next
page
gets loaded? If so, how long will even the most patient user be willing
wait? The American Express Blue movie ran for 17 seconds. Does that mean
I'll have to wait 17 seconds to view page I requested? I think I'd
rather
pay for the Internet equivalent of HBO to avoid that.

Ack.

Regards,
 Bill

   About CHI-WEB: http://www.acm.org/sigchi/web/chi-web.html