From:
Ross Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 19:01:59 -0700
Bruce Bell-Myers wrote:
> Most (almost all?) users know HOW to scroll.  It's just that many will
> refuse to if they don't see any point to it.

(First post, sorry to jump in so quickly, but...)

I got a Playstation for Christmas and have been studying one of the
games I received, Spyro 2. (Yes, there is a connection, I promise.)

One of the base objectives of the game is to collect these little jewels
lying around the various worlds. Often you'll see them in 'lazy' lines,
heading around a corner or to the edge of a cliff. Well, surprise,
surprise, if you collect the jewels in these paths, you'll be drawn to
further reaches of the game.

In the same way, it sounds like Bruce is encouraging web designers to
give users some sort of guide as to where the 'further reaches' of our
pages are.

I highly recommend people take a look at what some of these adventure
games have to teach about training users. They are often effective _and_ enjoyable.

...Ross...

____ http://www.exactinteractive.com/ __________________________