From:
Terry Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 07:57:37 -0500
On Thu, 11 May 2000 09:20:34 -0500, Cal Lee wrote:

>  If I'm told to find the answer to a specific question on
>  a company's site ... banner ads are almost guaranteed to
>  be just noise.

Neither Spool's data nor our own provide any support for this
interpretation.  In both studies, even highly relevant (in
fact, exactly on point) graphical links are ignored (in our
case, systematically ignored, by nearly all our subjects).
Not every graphical link is subject to "banner blindness,"
but the data support the notion that the most enduring effect
of Web advertising has been to create a visual "dead zone" on
the screen.

- Terry Sullivan