From:
Ross Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 11:02:52 -0700
Henry Sun wrote:

> > I hear Flash and databases don't like each other so updates might be
> > a problem.
>
> For dynamic Flash, you have to use Macromedia's Generator. Which can
> generate Flashed on-the-fly and pull data from a DB. I've tried the
> developer version, and everything are fine. However, you need at least $30K
> for a starter package of it's Enterprise Edition to get it working in real
> business.

There are some third party Dynamic SWF engines out there that can be
alternatives to Generator including:

http://www.swift-tools.com
http://www.blue-pac.com/
http://www.kessels.com/Form2Flash/index.html

> Besides, Generator is a CPU intensive software. Flash already loads slowly
> over modem. If you use Generator, you are asking your users to wait ever
> longer. Or you invest for a few multiple-CPU machines.

Actually, there is no more increased drain on the user's (Audience, visitor's,
customer's, member's, person's, slave's, fiend's, enemy's, wallet's, dope's,
friend's, royal users', cousin's) machine than a dynamically created GIF: ie,
None. And if kept to a simple addition, the time to dynamically generate a
piece of a Flash movie on the server side is equivalent to a generated page
through ASP or PHP.

> To me, Generator makes the the whole story more complex. Both the user's
> side and the designer's side. Most of the time, you could use combination of
> dynamically generated HTML (ASP,JSP,PHP...) and Flash to get the desired
> results without touching Generator.

However, when provided in the proper manner, Flash has it's place and when that
place is found, being able to insert information on the fly is truly a godsend,
rather than having to go all the way back into the Flash creation program and
exporting a whole new movie.

...Ross...

____ http://www.exactinteractive.com/ __________________________

  "The Web is my day-long obsession, joy, and torment."
                             - with apologies to Claude Monet

   About CHI-WEB: http://www.acm.org/sigchi/web/chi-web.html