From:
Dave Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:40:12 -0500
Wow! Why is it that when people don't like or understand something, the
first thing that pops out of their mouths is "this is stupid?"

I think that if you look again, many the most popular sites on the internet
are portals which support mainly a passive monitoring of information (not
active searching) and branding heavy e-commerce sites that depend heavily on
advertising.

Of course that isn't really the point, because Flash does not equal
advertising! Sure people use it for advertisements, and people use it for
annoying splash pages; but people are also using it for scores of other
things that are good. Case in point, I saw not too long ago a very nice
interactive science lesson for grade school aged kids. It was quite engaging
and, I suspect, held greater value for kids than a plain block of text. I'm
furious with myself for not bookmarking it, but that's life.

I can't stress this enough: We MUST focus on how to use this sort of
technology to add value to the internet rather than bash it because it's
used poorly.

But we've had this discussion already. The horse is dead, time to stop
flogging it.

-Dave Smith
Consultant - Usability Design Group
Broadreach Consulting