From:
Bill Lenoir <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Lenoir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 09:50:26 -0500
> David Jacques wrote:
>
> This is an excellent notion, IMHO, as it allows optional information to be
> presented without breaking the user's reading flow by taking them away
from
> the main content.

This is the key to the use of pop-ups. In general, I'm opposed to them, but
I'll use them if both of these conditions are true:

1. Low likelihood of the page being bookmarked.
2. It's a dead-end page (i.e., no links off of it).

Make sure to include the following:

* An "onLoad=this.window.focus()" in the body of the pop-up html file to
ensure that if a pop-up window has already been created and it it behind the
current window, it will be brought to the fore.
* A close window button or link.

I've also been toying with layers and roll-overs in place of pop-ups.

Bill Lenoir
Information Architecture Group Manager
The Adrenaline Group

   About CHI-WEB: http://www.acm.org/sigchi/web/chi-web.html