From:
William Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 16:20:17 -0000
Jonathan -

We had a very lengthy debate on the use of metaphor in UI design back in
1999 (you know, the last millennium<g>). You can get to what was said
then by going to the CHI-WEB archive and searching for "metaphor". This
URL should take you straight there (as always, if URLs get broken over
two or more lines, paste them back together before trying to use them):
http://www.acm.org/archives/wa.cgi?S2=chi-web&q=metaphor&s=&f=&a=1999&b=

I also wrote a related article for the ACM's _interactions_ magazine. If
you have access to the ACM Digital Library, it can be downloaded from
http://www.acm.org/pubs/citations/journals/interactions/2000-7-3/p11-hud
son/.

I can provide a draft copy to those without access to the Digital
Library if they email with the words "interactions article" in the
subject. This URL should do the trick:
mailto:[log in to unmask]

(I can't "publish" the article as such as the copyright is with the
ACM.)

There are many new members to CHI-WEB since the original discussion, so
I don't mean any of this to stifle discussion.

Regards,

William Hudson
Syntagm Ltd
Design for Usable Systems
Tel +44 (1235) 522859
Fax +44 (1235) 554449
Web http://www.syntagm.co.uk
vCard http://www.syntagm.co.uk/whudson.vcf

Co-author of Addison-Wesley's _Object Modeling and User Interface
Design_
Amazon.com -
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201657899/syntagmltd02
Amazon.co.uk -