From:
Dale Stanbrough <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dale Stanbrough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 10:00:13 +1000
At 1:18 AM -0500 20/6/00, Stanley Allen wrote:
>Teamers:
>
>How about an open-source GUI financial caculator written in Ada,
>making use of decimal-digits fixed-point arithmetic and picture strings?
>
>I've been looking at some of the free (libre) Linux fin calcs and they
>seem to be using double (or worse, float) for all real calculations.
>I've been led to believe by some comments in this forum that floating-point
>is a poor choice for financial work.
>
>Could it be done better in Ada?  What advantages could be claimed for
>such a calculator?  Are there some current popular applications in
>this category to emulate?

GnuCash could do with a backend that performs this. Currently it uses
double (from what i could read) for 'simple things like mortgage
calculations', and the authors were considering using Scheme (i
think!) for more accurate calculations.

Could someone else read the documentation and either confirm or deny this?

It's at www.gnucash.com

Dale