Date:
Thu, 24 May 2012 17:11:59 +0200
Sender:
From:
Henriette Cramer <[log in to unmask]>
CALL FOR PAPERS

THE LOCAL EXPERIENCE
workshop in conjunction with ACM RecSys 2012

9th September, Dublin, Ireland
http://loca.mobilelifecentre.org

Submissions deadline: June 8th.

Join us exploring Dublin & local recommendations!

Location-based recommendations are everywhere. Recommendations for
local places, things, and even people nearby are now standard practice
across many commercial services; mobile ads, Google mobile search,
foursquare recommendations, Yelp, Tripadvisor, etc.

But how well are these actually suited to people's local needs? And
how much fun is it to explore the world through the lens of
recommendations? This active RecSys 2012 workshop explores that local
experience of localized recommendations.

Together we'll spend half a day exploring Dublin using local
recommender systems, on-the-spot. We'll be using commercial systems,
and any services that participants themselves may have built‚ and
we'll explore what's great, what's missing, and where our research
should be heading. Let us know about your background, and join us in
Dublin for what promises to be an interactive, insightful and fun
RecSys workshop!

Themes of interest include (but are not limited to):
- local and mobile recommendations (e.g. place recommendations, or
local adaptation)
- local, individual or cultural differences in recommendation and
presentation preferences
- under/over represented or catered to groups
- systems using and adapting to local data sources, such as end-user
generated content, local services etc.
- differing local usage motivations
- local search and recommendation
- local recommendations on-the-spot and distant planning
- interfaces for supporting local recommendations
- design guidelines for local recommender systems
- trust, transparency, explanations geared to local end-users, local
end-user feedback
- local business models, and e.g. vendor or local business involvement
- social location-based recommenders

--------------------------
Submissions
--------------------------
Submissions can be 2-page position papers or research reports (e.g.
industry or academic reports on user studies, overviews of experiences
with local recommendations, example systems, local adaptations that
have worked/not worked), or can take less conventional forms
(interface designs, comics, art works, video statements, illustrations
of local recommendation experiences, etc.). Our goal is to learn about
your background and the challenges you'd like the research community
to address.

Submissions will be reviewed by an international reviewing committee
of industry and academia representatives. Selection will be based on
relevance, expertise, inspiration and interest. We aim to have a
balanced international group of practitioners, academic researchers,
and creatives. Note that instead of presenting your work in a
formal/traditional workshop setting, each authors of an accepted paper
will pitch their views on local recommendations and their opinions on
what open research questions we should be addressing as a community in
the local experience workshop. We will use these 'pitches' to guide us
in the outdoor portion of the workshop.

Please send your submissions in PDF format or links to videos and
artwork, etc. to: henriette (at) mobilelifecentre.org.

Note that at least one author of accepted submissions needs to
register and attend the workshop.

--------------------------
Organizers
--------------------------
Henriette Cramer, Mobile Life @ SICS, Stockholm
Karen Church, Telefonica Research, Barcelona

--------------------------
PC Members
--------------------------
Zeno Gantner, Nokia
David McGookin, University of Glasgow
Lars Erik Holmquist, Yahoo!
Gueorgi Kossinets, Google
Alexandros Karatzoglou, Telefonica Research
Jonh Hannon, University College Dublin
Kevin McNally, University College Dublin
Rachael Rafter, Trinity College Dublin
Sofia Reis, Universidade Nova de Lisboa
more tba

--------------------------
Important Dates
--------------------------
Friday June 8, 2012‚ Submission Deadline
Friday June 22, 2012‚ Acceptance Notification
Sunday Sept 9, 2012‚ Afternoon workshop at RecSys 2012!

--------------------------
Location:
--------------------------
Given the goal of this workshop is to explore local recommender
systems (both commercial systems and applications that participants
have built), the majority of the workshop will take place outside in
Dublin City Center (rain or shine, and knowing Ireland rain is
likely!). We'll post logistics of the workshop on the workshop website
closer to the workshop date.

Website
Further details are available from the workshop website at:
http://loca.mobilelifecentre.org

--
Henriette Cramer, PhD
SICS / Mobile Life Centre, Stockholm, Sweden