From:
Robert Mack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Mack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 12:30:15 -0500
CONTACT: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Workshop on Mobile Communications

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
CHI 2001 Workshop
Mobile Communications: Understanding Users, Adoption, and Design

Position Papers due January 26, 2001

WORKSHOP ORGANIZERS
Marilyn Salzman
Genomica
(formerly at Qwest Advanced Technologies)

Leysia Palen
Computer Science & Institute of Cognitive Science
University of Colorado

Richard Harper
Digital World Research Centre
University of Surrey Guildford

WORKSHOP OVERVIEW

Mobile telephony adoption is on the rise and recent technological
innovations have dramatically enhanced the capabilities of the wireless
telephone. Leveraging the power of these new capabilities, various
business
sectors are working together to offer a wide array of services. Each
sector
is looking for the next "killer application," yet we are still learning
about people's information and communication needs while "on the go."

The goal of this workshop is to bring together an international group of
practitioners and researchers from various sectors of the mobile
communications industry. We will discuss the following topic areas and,
prior to the workshop, invite participants to identify specific issues
that
they feel are particularly relevant and timely.

   Mobile User Experience: What factors influence the user experience;
how
   do various sectors (e.g., device designers, content developers,
service
   providers) influence the user experience; how should we work together
   improve it?
   Studying the Mobile User: What are some successful techniques for
   studying the mobile user?
   Adoption: What factors influence adoption of wireless communications;
   how do these vary internationally; how can we overcome barriers to
   adoption?
   Design: Based on the above, what principles and heuristics we can
   derive for good mobile communications design?

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS

Applicants should submit a 2-4 page position paper including a short
biography and experiences with respect to these topics. Criteria for
selection will include the quality of the paper and originality of the
position represented therein, depth of experience in the field, and area
of
expertise.

Please send submissions as Microsoft Word or PDF files to
[log in to unmask] by January 26, 2001.  We will notify accepted
participants by February 2, 2001.

For Questions, please contact:
Leysia Palen
Computer Science & Institute of Cognitive Science
University of Colorado, Boulder Boulder, CO 80309 USA
Tel: +1 303 492 3902
Fax: +1 303 492 2844
Email: [log in to unmask]