From:
Bob Fields <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Fields <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2014 12:23:31 +0000
Project Title: Smartphone Psychology: Transforming methods, theory and practice. Key Words: Interdisciplinarity; biopsychosocial models; eco-technological methods; visual and multimodal methodologies; mental health.

Brief Description: Smartphones and smartphone-supported digital technologies are increasingly able to capture and monitor people’s mood, cognitions and behavior, as well as various indices of physiological arousal (including heart and respiratory rate) and environmental data (e.g. location, local weather conditions, and social context), in precise, unobtrusive and user-friendly ways. However, the potential of these new technologies for transforming psychological research, theory and practice is yet to be explored fully and evaluated.

The proposed programme of work aims to develop a multi-disciplinary and multi-method framework within which to investigate complex psychophysiological processes and mechanisms, and to explore its empirical, theoretical and clinical potential. This will involve exploiting recent advances in smartphone and digital technologies to gather psychological, behavioural and physiological data ‘in real time’, with both ‘normal’ and clinical population. We will also investigate whether, as well as providinguseful research instruments, smartphone apps and technology may offer possible intervention strategies, or adjuncts to more traditional intervention methods (e.g. by enabling mood (self)monitoring and bio-feedback mechanisms).

We are interdisciplinary team of academics, with expertise in applied psychology, interaction design and computing, currently developing wearable physical computing, supported by a smartphone app, for gathering of psychosocial, physiological and environmental data. We are especially interested in mental health and well-being, and in the potential of new technologies to influence behaviour and inform interventions.

The ideal candidate will have a background in psychology,  human-computer interaction or interaction design. A willingness to be involved in software development or the design of physical computing will be an advantage.

Deadline: 14th March 2014.

Further Details:
Contact Dr Lisa Marzano ([log in to unmask])
or see:  http://www.mdx.ac.uk/research/applications/fees/bursaries/index.aspx
Bob Fields
[log in to unmask]                http://www.cs.mdx.ac.uk/staffpages/bobf
+44 (0)20 8411 2272

Town Hall Room TG07

Interaction Design Centre // Department of Computer Science
School of Science & Technology
Middlesex University
The Burroughs, London, NW4 4BG, UK

Please note that Middlesex University's preferred way of receiving all correspondence is via email in line with our Environmental Policy. All incoming post to Middlesex University is opened and scanned by our digital document handler, CDS, and then emailed to the recipient.

If you do not want your correspondence to Middlesex University processed in this way please email the recipient directly. Parcels, couriered items and recorded delivery items will not be opened or scanned by CDS.  There are items which are "exceptions" which will be opened by CDS but will not be scanned a full list of these can be obtained by contacting the University.