From:
Wolfgang Reinhardt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wolfgang Reinhardt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 May 2013 11:41:36 +0200
Dear colleagues,

We have developed a free-to-use prototypical web-based classroom response system at the University of Paderborn that we want to offer you for applications in teaching and research. The system is called PINGO („Peer Instruction for very large groups“). Similar to the ask-the-audience life-line in "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?", students can be involved in the lecture by answering (conceptual) questions posed by the instructor using their Internet-enabled devices (smartphones, tablets, laptops etc.). PINGO may be used to implement constructivist teaching designs, such as Peer Instruction, Classwide discusions, Three-Questions Sequence approach and many others. We are working on extending PINGO (e.g., in terms of question formats) and want to use it also as an artifact to conduct experiments in the area of teaching and technology use. If you are interested in joining us, please do not hesitate to contact us. We plan to offer PINGO as open source in fall this year.

PINGO is currently offered in an English and a German version (Spanish will follow soon). PINGO is offered as a hosted service free of charge to universities world wide.

PINGO can be reached at http://pingo.upb.de.

A virtual tour that illustrates the features and how to use PINGO is offered at http://pingo.upb.de/?tour=true

To register as instructor, please follow http://pingo.upb.de/users/sign_up

The project website can be accessed at http://wiwi.uni-paderborn.de/en/dep3/winfo2/research/projects/paderborner-peer-instruction/
There, we also offer some instructional videos on peer instruction and the use of PINGO.

We are looking forward to your feedback on how to improve PINGO and hope that you will find it valuable for your own teaching.

Best regards
Dr. Wolfgang Reinhardt

_________________________________

Dr. Wolfgang Reinhardt

University of Paderborn
Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Computer
Science and Mathematics
Department of Computer Science
Computer Science Education Group
Fuerstenallee 11 - F2.201