From:
Chris Frauenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Frauenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2014 09:29:13 -0400
Final Call for Papers - deadline extended 24 April (12pm CET)

Workshop on Interaction Design with Children with Disabilities @ IDC 2014

http://idcd2014.wordpress.com/

At the 13th international conference on Interaction Design & Children
Aarhus, Denmark.

Submission deadline: 24 April 2014 (12pm CET)
per email to [log in to unmask]

Designing interactive technologies for and with children with disabilities is highly complex because of the multi-faceted interplay of needs, abilities, objectives and relevant stakeholders. Involving children with disabilities in the design process promises to increase our understanding about these complexities and allows us to create more meaningful and useful interactive technologies. Facilitating this participation, however, is a challenge in itself and requires us to develop novel techniques, considering the particular contexts, and to critically reflect on our own role and assumptions that shape the process.

This workshop will bring together researchers, designers and practitioners in the field to discuss the current state-of-the-art and to share ideas and experiences. The workshop will have two parts focusing on:

1) The methodological challenges of involving children with disabilities and other stakeholders in the design process. Topics include:
	* Experiences of participatory design techniques
	* When to include children with disabilities in the design process and when not to
	* Practical and ethical issues (e.g., recruitment, incentives, informed consent)
	* Ways to involve all relevant stakeholders (e.g., formal and informal caregivers, teachers) while keeping the authentic experiences of the children.

2) The values and philosophical stances that fundamentally shape the  work. Through critical reflection on our work we would like to identify the tacit assumptions that drive the fundamental decisions and make them available for debate. Topics include:
	* What is our understanding of what it means to be disabled?
	* Who defines goals and outcomes?
	* Why do we choose to implement a certain approach?
	* What do we know when we have finished?

Submission
---------------
We ask all participants to submit a 2-4 page paper (using the ACM SIG Proceedings Template)  which includes the following information:
* A description of the context of their work, including overall goals, target groups etc.
* A description of one or more design techniques that they have used or plan to use.
* Brief reflective statements on their work from the following three perspectives:
	- Goals & Objectives (What has determined the definition of outcomes? Who was making those decisions and what were the main drivers? Have those goals changed over the course of the work and why?)
	- Methods & Participation (Which methodology was applied, and on what grounds? At what level were children with disabilities or other stakeholders involved, and what was the quality of this involvement? What or who determined the relationship between researchers, designers, children and stakeholders? )
	- Evaluation & Knowledge (How were outcomes evaluated and analysed? How were contributions to knowledge identified and constructed? )
* Participants’ expectations of the workshop and the specific topics they would like to discuss.

Researchers with projects in the planning phase are particularly welcomed as we believe they would benefit directly from participating in this workshop. We encourage all potential participants to read the further background information on our webpage (http://idcd2014.wordpress.com).

Submissions will be reviewed by the Organising Committee and selected contributions will be made available on the workshop website. We will also distribute all contributions prior to the workshop in order to enable the participants to become familiar with the research contexts that will be discussed.

Please also note that all workshop participants must register for both the workshop and at least one day of the main IDC 2014 conference. The reason for this policy is that workshops are designed to be a part of the IDC conference, not separate events that happen to be in the same location at the same time. The intention is that people will be attending the conference as well.

Organising committee:
------------------------------
Part 1: Methodology
Wolmet Barendregt. University of Gothenburg
Karin Slegers, KU Leuven / iMinds, Belgium
Eva Eriksson, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
Olof Torgersson, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
Carl Heath, Interactive Institute Swedish ICT AB, Sweden
Anders-Petter Andersson, Kristianstad University, Sweden
Tobias Sonne, Aarhus University, Denmark
Robert FohlĂ­n, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden

Part 2: Values and Stances
Christopher Frauenberger, Vienna University of Technology, Austria
Judith Good, University of Sussex, UK
Jen Mankoff, Carnegie Mellon University, USA