From:
Thies Pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thies Pfeiffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2014 12:44:32 +0200
Call for Papers
===============

4th International Workshop on Pervasive Eye Tracking and Mobile
Eye-Based Interaction (PETMEI 2014)
- in conjunction with UbiComp 2014

You are cordially invited to submit original work at the PETMEI 2014
Workshop. The workshop will be held in Seattle on September 13th, 2014.

Location: Seattle, United States
Date: September 13th, 2014

IMPORTANT DATES
- Abstract Submission: June 3, 2014
- Paper Submission: June 10, 2014
- Notification of Acceptance: June 24, 2014
- Camera-ready due: July 1, 2014
- Workshop: September 13, 2014

VISION AND GOALS
Despite considerable advances over the last decades, previous work on
eye tracking and eye-based human-computer interfaces mainly developed
use of the eyes in traditional desktop settings. Latest developments in
remote and headmounted eye tracking equipment and automated eye movement
analysis point the way toward unobtrusive eye-based human-computer
interfaces that will become pervasively usable in everyday life. With
the growth of interest in smart glass devices and low-cost eye trackers,
gaze-based techniques for mobile computing is becoming increasingly
important in recent years. We call this new paradigm pervasive eye
tracking – continuous eye monitoring and analysis 24/7.

The potential applications for the ability to track and analyse eye
movements anywhere and any time call for new research to further develop
and understand visual behaviour and eyebased interaction in daily life
settings. PETMEI 2014 will focus on pervasive eye tracking as a
trailblazer for mobile eye-based interaction and eye-based
context-awareness. We provide a forum for researchers from
human-computer interaction, context-aware computing, egocentric computer
vision and eye tracking to discuss techniques and applications that go
beyond classical eye tracking and stationary eye-based interaction. We
want to stimulate and explore the creativity of these communities with
respect to the implications, key research challenges, and new
applications for pervasive eye tracking in ubiquitous computing. The
long-term goal is to create a strong interdisciplinary research
community linking these fields together and to establish the workshop as
the premier forum for research on pervasive eye tracking.

TOPICS
Topics of interest cover computational methods, new applications and use
cases, as well as eye tracking technology for pervasive eye tracking and
mobile eye-based interaction. Topics of interest include, but are not
limited to:

Methods
We invite participants to reflect on the specific characteristics of
pervasive eye tracking systems and to contrast them with classical
methods for eye tracking, eye movement analysis, eye-based interaction,
and evaluation. We welcome contributions reporting on methodological
advances on all components of mobile eye tracking systems, and the
workshop will also cover latest technological advances in mobile eye
tracking equipment.
- Eye tracking technologies for mobile devices
- Tools for face, eye detection and tracking
- Gaze and eye movement analysis methods
- Integration of pervasive eye tracking and context-aware computing
- Multi-modal sensor fusion
- User studies on pervasive eye tracking
- Devices for portable, wearable and ambient eye tracking

Applications
In addition to contributions reporting on methodological advances we
also want to attract submissions that explore innovative applications of
pervasive eye tracking and mobile eye-based interaction. We also want to
particularly invite presentations on research on egocentric vision
systems and gazerelated computer vision applications that can
potentially extend the possibility of current mobile gaze interaction.
- Pervasive eye-based interaction
- Mobile attentive user interfaces
- Eye-based activity and context recognition
- Security and privacy for pervasive eye-tracking systems
- Eye tracking for specialized application areas
- Eye-based human-robot and human-agent interaction
- Cognition-aware systems and user interfaces
- Human factors in mobile eye-based interaction
- Egocentric computer-vision systems and applications

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Prospective authors should submit notes with a maximum length of four
pages or full papers with a maximum length of six pages. In addition to
research papers we explicitly invite submissions of position papers and
papers that describe preliminary results or work-in-progress. All
submissions should be prepared according to the SIGCHI archival format
(double column, PDF). Manuscripts will be reviewed by at least two
reviewers. Accepted papers will be published in the UbiComp 2014
supplemental proceedings. In addition, printed proceedings will be
distributed to the participants during the workshop. We also plan to
publish extended versions of selected papers in an edited book or a
special issue of a journal or magazine.

Templates
- Latex
http://www.sigchi.org/publications/chipubform/sigchi-papers-latex-template/at_download/file
- Word
http://www.sigchi.org/publications/chipubform/sigchi-papers-word-template/at_download/file

Submission Website
Please visit our website http://2014.petmei.org/ for regular updates.

ORGANIZERS
- Thies Pfeiffer, Center of Excellence Cognitive Interaction Technology,
Bielefeld University, Germany
- Sophie Stellmach, Microsoft Corporation, USA
- Yusuke Sugano, The University of Tokyo, JP

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
PETMEI 2014 is supported by the following program committee members:
- Andreas Bulling, Max Planck Institute for Informatics, DE
- Andrew T. Duchowski, Clemson University, USA
- Alireza Fathi, Stanford University, USA
- Dan Witzner Hansen, IT University of Copenhagen, DK
- Kris M. Kitani, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
- Päivi Majaranta, University of Tampere, FI
- Lucas Paletta, Joanneum, AT
- Pernilla Qvarfordt, FX Palo Alto Laboratory, US
- Lech Swirski, University of Cambridge, UK
- Takumi Toyama, DFKI, DE

More committee members to be announced soon.

CONTACT AND FURTHER INFORMATION
For further information, please visit our website or sent us an email:
- Official PETMEI 2014 E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
- PETMEI 2014 Website: http://2014.petmei.org/

Best regards
Thies, Sophie and Yusuke

--
Dr. Thies Pfeiffer (Dipl. Inform.)
CITEC / Center of Excellence Cognitive Interaction Technology