CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:11:26 -0700
From:
Katie Albers <[log in to unmask]>
Well, I've had testers end up in hysterical tears (some people can't
help feeling that they are the ones under investigation) and under
the desk (there *are* paranoid people in the world). These are the
methods I've developed to deal with the run-of-the-mill test problems.

Don't take notes. Ever. At best it reaks of a theraputic session, at
worst it feels like you're an animal under observation, and in
general, it changes people's behavior -- it constantly draws testers'
awareness back to the fact that this is an abnormal situation. If you
want your own notes on things to be particularly aware of, schedule
time after each session to jot down your points and observations, but
you should never be writing while your tester is in the room.

In general I've found that recording the test with a voice recorder
(video by preference, and the video camera should be as nearly out of
sight as possible) is much more likely to allow testers to forget
that they are being observed. Naturally, I include the recording in
the release they sign.

I also make sure that I use these terms: Those sitting in front of
the interface and doing stuff are "testers"; I am a "researcher" or a
"consultant" -- never an "observer". I've found that emphasizing that
they are not being tested themselves is nearly always insufficient if
I don't use this reinforcement. In fact, over the years, I've
developed a greeting/explanation that works from this
assumption..."Thank you for offering to take the time to test our
[foo]. The final/next version of the [foo] relies heavily on the
feedback from our volunteer testers. We're looking forward to getting
your input so that we can improve it..."

It's far from perfect, but I find that it puts both the testers and
me in different and more confident frames of mind that benefit the
testing process.

Katie