CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 09:58:43 -0400
From:

We are having a discussion on how to adress very long lists in our web
application (e.g. 1000 items/records called from a database).

The items are not sorted by relevance.  We cannot add color or graphics
in the list to differenciate the groups of items.  The list is
automaticaly generated.   Response time is really an issue here, having
to get large chunks of info from the database takes time!  Our users
need to go fast, so they want to scan a large lists fast!

We now have two possibilities in front of us :

1) Show 20 items at a time.  Get the next items with "Next" and
"Previous" buttons (e.g. Results in Google).  But we think the user will
not appreciate having to click 10-20 times (or more) to get to the
information he needs.

2) Use the scroll bar.  But we think we cannot refresh the list fast
enough for the usual scroll bar, so the user will drag down the scroll
bar but the info will not refresh automatically.  Only when he releases
the mouse button, will the items refresh in the list.  We think that it
is not optimal when you are scanning a big list, plus, you never know
where you will land when you release the mouse button.  We would prefer
the scroll we're used to in Excel (refreshes the data instantly).

We couldn't find any examples of large lists on the web, except search
results. They are sorted by relevance, so it's not our situation at all.

Any suggestions are more than welcome (interface or programming).

All  responses should be sent directly to  me and I will summarize all

Thanks in advance,

Anne Deputter