From:
Bryan Grubaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bryan Grubaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2008 18:56:42 -0400
Of the two large projects I worked on recently, one was Flex, and the other
was an Ajax front end, with java working behind the scenes. They were both
pure RIAs working in a browser extension (a browser stripped of everything
except the gray outline).

 The flex project was very interesting, but it definitely has it's place.
The application will be run in a very tightly controlled area so we know for
a fact stuff like browser version (because we wrote it), computer speed,
resolution, etc.  I'm not really sure how well it would handle the general
public.  Overall it was pretty neat, it definitely simplified a lot of the
data entry and recall stuff.

The Ajax/Java app was a much larger project.  It's been an ongoing project
for the last 18 months or so. We're an agile shop, so much of the
application has been released into production over that time.  They're using
the dojo library. (http://dojotoolkit.org/). A lot of the work they've been
doing has actually expanded the dojo toolkit to the point that they are
submitting it to the toolkit for consideration.

Of the two projects the Ajax/Java app is probably my preferred. Part of this
preference may come from the team though. They're very receptive to both
usability testing (they're my note takers) and implementing things down to
the pixel.

Hope that helps.
Bryan