From:
Juan Lanus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Juan Lanus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2006 17:23:01 -0300
Matt,
My guess is that the users of that many-questions application form
here sort of HR types. And that the tab labels were redacted after
categories that those HR people were used to.
Should these assumptions be true, then what happened is that the
"manifest model" of your application was in sync with the user's
"conceptual model", a wining card for user application acceptance.

Recall, there are three models:
+ conceptual model lives in the user's minds, and might predate the
application: it's the way they see "it"
+ manifest model is mainly the UI, specially the interaction dynamics part of it
+ implementation model is how the programmers craft the app inside the
computer, should not be visible.
The implementation called for a long list of data items and all at
once, but the implementation wasn't modeled after that but instead
after a tedious load of  many fields may be a couple missing until
tomorrow. So it was broken in manageable parts with partial loads
recoverable.

Anyway, in my country most if not all cities are the grid type. I live
in Vicente Lopez, a municipality near Buenos Aires. Close to it is San
Isidro.
I know when I'm in San Isidro because I get lost immediatly. It's
because of poor labeling.
If at least we'd have cow paths! One could recognize their shapes,
instead of having each street excatly equal to the previous and the
next!  ;-)
--
Juan Lanus
TECNOSOL