From:
"Jared M. Spool" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jared M. Spool
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2006 16:34:41 -0400
Sorry I dropped out of the conversation for a little bit -- travel made
replying difficult.

At 03:15 PM 5/22/2006, Katie Albers wrote:
>You aren't going to design a perfect interface that is perfectly usable by
>everyone. Sooner or later, someone will ask another user a question about
>something. It's much easier to place the understanding and the
>misunderstanding if the questioner can say "What am I supposed to do on
>'Edit' page?" rather than "What am I supposed to do on this page that has
>the 5 fields in the column on the left with the big field on the right?"

Contingency design is always a good idea.

However, it seems to me this wasn't the problem Hal was trying to solve. It
seemed he was hoping naming the pages would make standard use, not
contingency behavior, better.

I still contend this is likely to be the wrong way to fix the problem. In
my experience, making the internal structure of the design rarely helps
clarify the operation of the application.

Jared

510 Turnpike Street, Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
978 327-5561   [log in to unmask]  http://www.uie.com
Blog: http://www.uie.com/brainsparks