CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

Nick Gassman <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 22:47:42 +0000
On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 09:35:41 -0800, Susan Farrell wrote:

Susan, thanks for your comments. Let me explain some of the
complexities.

>Our recommendation is to make registration optional, but to offer it
>at the _end_ of the checkout process, so that people can simply
>create a password and be done (all their other info has just been
>entered while purchasing).

In our case, someone is buying travel. They may be buying it for
themselves, or for someone else. A lot of PAs for example, purchase
travel for their bosses. In many cases, the person making the purchase
will enter someone else's email address, as they will want the other
person to receive the confirmation email with the travel details.

Also, we don't need a delivery address, now that people no longer
receive a physical ticket. We do need a billing address, but there are
many travellers who will use a billing address that isn't where they
live (most of the time).

If the travel is for more than one person, we require the names of all
the travellers.

It doesn't make sense for us to include registration questions on the
payment page, which could result in registration errors. We want the
money at that point.

We know that on the confirmation page customers primarily want to
check that the travel information is correct - it's high in money and
emotional value. They don't want clutter - like registration - there.
And there is also important servicing information and actions
required.

It should be pitched as a convenience to
>the customer for ease of shopping next time. At that point, people
>can evaluate the benefit exactly, in terms of how much time it might
>save re-entering their details.

The customer would also be joining the frequent flyer scheme, and
would earn miles, if they are travelling.

>When registration is placed first in the checkout process for a
>first-time buyer, it discourages people by asking for personal
>information without showing the benefit first.

There are some travel websites that just require registration with no
explanation. This is typically placed after the price has been
displayed, and before personal information is entered. It would be
quite possible to have an optional registration process at this point
that explains the benefits.

Also if anyone fails
>to register correctly or refuses to enter the required data, they are
>unable to purchase.

We would allow the customer to opt out of the process at any time.

These factors end up requiring us to have a new page just for optional
registration during checkout.

*    Nick Gassman - Usability and Standards Manager - http://ba.com *