From:
Sharon Laskowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sharon Laskowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 2009 10:31:26 -0400
Just to clarify,  NIST typically develops test methods and conformance
tests (for conformance to a standard) and acredits test laboratories
to do the certification.

WRT usability,  there is not "certification" or test labs except in
the case that Bill describes.  NIST has worked with the Election
Assistance Commission (EAC) created  standards for voting systems and
test methods to determine conformance to the standards.   This
includes usability and accessibility standards for voting systems.
The EAC acredits labs to do the testing and the EAC then certifies the
systems as conforming to the standard.

This is the only example I know of for formal certification in the
usability arena. NIST has developed a standard for reporting usability
tests which is now an ISO standard (ISO/IEC 25062:2006 Common Industry
Format (CIF) for usability test reports) and is currently working with
ISO on a requirements report called CISU-R.  It is in ISO committee at
the moment but some info can be found at: http://www.nist.gov/iusr/ .

Perhaps Sumanth could provide more specifics on what he is asking
about.

Sharon