From:
Carolyn Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carolyn Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:46:20 -0400

Meant to post this to the list as well...

Hi Scott,

There's one metaphor that's worked well for me... Compare using an
unfamiliar program with trying to find the rental car dropoff at an
unfamiliar airport. Some of the things that relate:

You rely totally on environmental signs (no maps exist in that amount of
detail and you probably didn't get training)

You don't have time to stop and look at every sign

If you miss a sign, you probably have to go back and start all over
again somehow

You're time crunched (how long until the plane takes off? Is like - how
long until the meeting starts?)

Time costs money (that mileage keeps racking up and I have to pay for
it)

Basically, try to take them out of their environment of comfort
(software) and help them connect with a situation where they felt as
frustrated and lost as a typical user might be!

Carolyn Chandler
Sr. User Experience Analyst
Open Text Corporation