From:
Sebastian Loehmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sebastian Loehmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2013 03:41:31 -0400
EVIS 2013 -  2nd Workshop on Electric Vehicle Information Systems

***

Are you interested in electric vehicles as a researcher, designer or manufacturer?
Then come and join us!

***

WEBSITE: http://mimuc.de/evis2013

DATE: October 27th 2013, Eindhoven, Netherlands

CONFERENCE: AutomotiveUI 2013, http://www.auto-ui.org/13

DEADLINE: August 31st 2013

THEME: EVIS - Electric Vehicle Information Systems
Sustainability has become one of the key factors for car manufacturers worldwide. Electric vehicles (EVs) are clean, quiet, efficient, and offer a great opportunity to keep our environment healthy. High effort has been put into new technologies, materials and infrastructure. Though, little research has been done on in-vehicle information systems (IVIS) to fit the needs of EV drivers. We will discuss how electric vehicle information systems (EVIS) and car interiors can be designed to meet challenges inherent in the development process of electric vehicles like e.g. range anxiety, energy recovery/recharging or automated driving. The goal of the workshop will be a summary of the Grand Challenges of EVIS.

Topics
We consider electric vehicle information systems (EVIS) as an inclusive term that encompasses encounters and intersections between interior design and information system design. In this respect, we invite papers that present and discuss novel contributions to electric vehicle user interfaces both on a practical and theoretical level and that further our understanding of the field through case studies, design approaches, and best practices. We expect contributions to explore a wide range of topics including, but not limited to:

- Case Studies of Specific Projects
- Case studies of Industrial Projects
- Ideas and Design Sketches
- Future Trends and Prototypes
- EVIS and Interior Design
- Interaction Techniques and Interfaces
- Social and Cultural Aspects of Interaction Design
- Design Processes and Methods
- Engineering Solution and Process Analysis
- Future Mobility Concepts involving Electric Vehicles

GOALS AND EXPECTED AUDIENCE
In the first EVIS workshop at AutomotiveUI 2012, we identified characteristic properties of EVs, which have an influence on future interfaces and interactions (e.g. range and battery properties, safety of and trust in the new technology, user experience while interacting with EVIS, driving behavior of EVs, etc.) With this second workshop, we further extend the network of researchers, designers or practitioners of the design space. We invite participants to share their approaches to overcome the barriers that still keep the adoption of electric vehicles on a low level. We will work towards a meaningful research agenda, showing the Grand Challenges of EVIS. With the help of this agenda, we hope to encourage the community to discuss the need to move away from simply adopting state of the art vehicles with combustion engines towards new EVIS concepts with their forms of interactions considering the special needs of EV drivers.

We aim to address and gather both, academics and practitioners within the field of automotive research, design and engineering. The workshop is intended for: automotive user interface designers and engineers from a scientific and from an industrial perspective; practitioners from OEMs, automotive industry suppliers and from other related field of industrial expertise, who want to explore the challenges of e-mobility; HCI researchers in general, who are interested specifically in the automotive context; experts from the field of human-computer interaction, computer science, social science and psychology, who are willing to identify challenges and goals for the specific characteristics of electric vehicles.

SUBMISSION DETAILS AND DEADLINES
Please submit one of the following (1 or 2) by August 31st, 2013 to

1) A position paper in ACM SIGCHI format with a length of two to six pages that describes a key concern for developing, evaluating, engineering or designing interfaces for electric vehicles.

2) An URL linking to a digital documentation of a novel system, application or service that gives a particular view on EVIS. This should be accompanied by a descriptive paper with a maximum length of two pages in the MobileHCI 2013 Extended Abstracts Format.

Papers will be reviewed by multiple members of a program committee consisting of experts in the area of automotive user interface research.

- Submission Deadline: August 31st 2013
- Author notification of acceptance: September 15th 2013
- Early registration deadline AutomotiveUI 2013: September 25th 2013
- Workshop at AutomotiveUI 2013: August 27th 2013

ORGANIZERS

Sebastian Loehmann - University of Munich (LMU)
Sebastian Osswald - University of Salzburg
Daniel Gleyzes - TUM CREATE
Klaus Bengler - Technische Universit√§t M√ľnchen
Andreas Butz - University of Munich (LMU)
Manfred Tscheligi - University of Salzburg

CONTACT INFORMATION
Twitter: @loehmuc @sosswald

Web: http://mimuc.de/evis2013
Web: http://www.medien.ifi.lmu.de/team/sebastian.loehmann/