Date:
Fri, 31 May 2013 10:14:35 +0000
Subject:
Sender:
From:
[Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP]

Due a number of requests we have decided to extend the submission deadline for SOFTec 2013 workshop.

CfP: SOFTec 2013 -  Second Workshop on Computer Mediated Social Offline Interactions

*** in conjunction with Ubicomp 2013 ***
*** September 8, Zurich, Swizterland ***
*** NEW! June 10 2013 - papers due ***
*** NEW! June 14 2013 - feedback to the authors ***
*** NEW! June 20 2013 - camera ready ***
*** more info at http://uc.inf.usi.ch/events/softec13 ***

======== SUMMARY AND THEME ========

In the age of online social networks, instant messaging, and email, social offline interactions seem destined to become an anachronism: as our use of electronic media increases, the number of hours per day that we interact directly with others “in the flesh” declines. Yet for all the power of synchronous and asynchronous remote communication, virtual interactions are hardly an adequate substitute. Recent studies show, e.g., that users of online social networking sites feel lonelier than non-users, and that people who have regular social offline interactions on a weekly basis enjoy a significantly reduction in mortality. Is there a way to have our cake and eat it, too? Can we design technology in such a way that its use comes not at the expense of social offline interaction, but supports it? The goal of this workshop is to examine how we can build technologies that promote offline interactions.

======== TOPICS OF INTEREST ========

In order to tackle the challenges associated with SOFTec, we will draw/build on the following themes, depending on participant contributions.

- Informing the design of technology from theories and models that describe how people behave in face-to-face interactions, e.g., Goffman’s theory on social interactions in public spaces.
- Mobile devices, large displays, social networking services, bio- and sensor-based networks as singular or mesh technologies for SOFTec.
- Novel applications for mobile devices, large displays, and social networking services that stimulate SOFTec.
- Interfaces and interaction concepts/metaphors for mobile phones and/or large displays that stimulate SOFTec within stranger-crowds, couples, and groups.
- Games as an example of SOFTec technology for entertaining and serious engagement.
- Experience and service design for SOFTec.
- Tools for measuring and assessing the impact of SOFTec technology.

======== GOALS AND EXPECTED AUDIENCE ========

The goal of the SOFTec 2013 workshop is to develop a research agenda for the technology that nurtures social offline interaction.

Given the early stages of this research area, we would like to attract researchers from various areas in:

- ubiquitous computing,
- social networking,
- interaction, user interface (UI), and user experience (UI) design,
- ethnography

We also welcome researchers from outside these areas that have interest in computer mediated technology for offline interaction.

======== SUBMISSION FORMAT ========

Workshop candidates are requested to send a position paper no longer than 4 pages in the Ubicomp workshop format (http://www.ubicomp.org/ubicomp2013/calls/templates.php) to the organizers about their research and link to the workshop theme. In addition to describing their work candidates are asked to write about challenges and opportunities they see for technology that nurtures and stimulates SOFTec, in order to prepare the candidates for this year’s workshop theme.
Participants will be selected on the basis of the relevance of their work and interests and familiarity with the SOFTec workshop topics.

All submissions should be sent as PDF to [log in to unmask] with "SOFTec 2013 Submission" as the email subject.
All accepted papers will be published in the ACM Digital Library.

======== TIMELINE AND DEADLINES ========

NEW! Workshop submission deadline: June 10 2013
NEW! Feedback to authors: June 14 2013
NEW! Camera ready version: June 20 2013
Workshop at Ubicomp 2013: September 8 2013

======== ORGANIZERS ========

Geraldine Fitzpatrick, Vienna University of Technology, Austria
Vasillis Kostakos, University of Oulu, Finland
Albrecht Schmidt, University of Stuttgart, Germany
Nemanja Memarovic, University of Lugano (USI), Switzerland

**** http://uc.inf.usi.ch/events/softec13 ****