From:
David Millen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Millen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2014 07:40:31 -0500
Call for Submissions — EXTENDED DEADLINE - December 15th (Monday), 5PM PST.

CSCW 2015 Workshop — Call for Position Paper Submission

CSCW Workshop 2015 : Collaboration and Social Computing in Emerging Financial Services

Link: http://researcher.watson.ibm.com/researcher/view_group.php?id=5703

Overview
Innovation in financial services presents many interesting challenges for CSCW and Social Computing. Mobile commerce encourages new design solutions that need to span consumer devices ranging from simple feature phones to full function web-enabled smart devices. New mobile money technologies such as M-Pesa, digital wallets, online banking and cryto-currencies such as bitcoin (bitcoin.org) invite novel interface and systems designs. Exciting new forms of lending have also emerged such as “solidarity-group” backed micro-finance, and various forms of online peer-to-peer lending.

Financial transactions are fundamentally embedded in a multi-person context and involve the coordinated action of multiple actors. For example, basic payment systems involve a buyer and a seller. The transaction, however, is completed within the context of a financial system that includes organizations (e.g., banks, governments) and the coordination of a rich network of other groups (e.g., competitors, suppliers, transportation providers). Understanding this larger context is required to design financial services that will be readily adopted and provide benefits to the greater financial ecosystems.

Workshop Objectives
In this workshop, we bring together researchers working in various areas of financial services design. There is evidence of growing interest in this area by a recent CHI SIG and workshop on similar topics.

In this workshop, we aim to explore Financial HCI with an emphasis on three main topics:

    1.	Financial Services for Special Groups: How do we design new financial services for special populations? Of particular
        interest are the elderly and unbanked populations.
    2.	Use and adoption of new financial technologies: How do we measure and support the adoption of new technologies
        used in financial services. What can we deal with issues of trust, privacy and security in new systems?
    3.	Social analytics for financial services: How can we effectively use social media and social network analytics for
        development of new financial services? This could include exploring financial life event detection and modeling using
        social media data streams, or social listening techniques for detecting product and service trends.

We are particularly interested in hearing about case studies of novel services that have been studied in the field.

Workshop Topics

•	Barriers and accelerators for adoption of new financial services. New forms of financial literacy education.
•	Understanding the role of social context and social relationships in the development of financial services.
•	How can new interaction technologies be used to create new financial services or change existing services?
•	New approaches for research into financial behavior, including novel elicitation practices such as financial games,
        financial probes, and improvisation.
•	Challenges for special populations such as elderly or people with disabilities
•	Financial inclusion and services for the unbanked
•	New forms of money, including digital cash and community currencies
•	Financial social analytics: using social analytic approaches to understand individual and groups financial behavior

Call for Participation
We invite interested researchers and practitioners to submit a position paper (2 to 4 pages) in the ACM Extended Abstracts format about work in progress, recent results, study methods, or perspectives related to the topics listed below. Papers will be peer-reviewed and 15-20 participants will be selected by relevance and likelihood of stimulating and contributing to this discussion Submissions should be in PDF format and emailed to [log in to unmask] by December 15, 2014 (extended).

Workshop Organizers:

David Millen (IBM Research)
Claudio Pinhanez (IBM Research)
Jofish Kaye (Yahoo Labs)