From:
Andreas Riener <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 May 2014 17:18:31 +0200
We apologize for any cross-postings.

Call for Position Papers
DOCTORAL COLLOQUIUM at AutomotiveUI 2014
Seattle, WA, USA # September 17-19, 2014
(the days right after UBICOMP and ISWC!)

Submissions due: August 8th, 2014

After its inauguration in 2013, the AutomotiveUI'14 Doctoral  Colloquium
aims at bringing together again PhD students working on  topics  related
to the field of automotive  user  interfaces  and interactive  vehicular
applications, offering them an opportunity to present and  discuss their
research to an audience of peers and senior faculty.  PhD  students will
receive feedback from their peers  about  the  appropriateness  of their
idea/topic/research approach, and will enjoy discussing  their  research
with senior members of the community. The DC is scheduled  prior  to the
main conference program on Wedneyday, September 17th, 2014.

The  topics of the AutomotiveUI'14  doctoral  colloquium  are  basically
the ones of the main conference (full list: http://www.auto-ui.org/14/):

1) Devices & Interfaces for vehicle operation
2) Automated/cooperative driving & Instrumentation
3) Evaluation & Benchmarking (Simulation, FOT, Naturalistic Studies)
4) Driver Performance & Behavior (Emotions, Intention, Distraction,...)

***  ELIGIBILITY  ***
The AutomotiveUI 2014 doctoral  colloquium  welcomes  contributions from
doctoral  students  currently  registered    in  a  PhD   program. Ideal
candidates should have worked on their  dissertation  for  some  months;
thus, they should have chosen a research topic  and  possibly  have also
selected  theoretical  and  methodological    approaches.   Selection of
participants will be based  on the  quality  of the  submission  and its
relevance to the conference topics of interest.

*** TRAVEL GRANTS ***
We intend to provide travel grants to allow more students  to  take part
in  the  DC; however,  at  this  time  we are   still   negotiating with
potential sponsors so that we cannot guarantee at  all  to offer  travel
grants. If you think you are eligible for receiving  a travel  grant and
want to apply in case  we  have  grants,  please  mention  this  in your
application.  We will  come  back  to  you  and  request  the   required
information timely.

*** SUBMISSION FORMAT ***
Submissions must  be  single-author,  but the  name  of  the  supervisor
should also be mentioned in the paper. The conversation language  of the
colloquium  is English  and  all  submitted  materials  must  be also in
English. Research students wishing to apply for the DC should  submit up
to 5 pages including figures, references, and a 100 word  abstract using
the format of the main conference (ACM SIGCHI two column  page  layout).
Templates for LaTeX and MS Word are available for download at the AutoUI
website, http://www.auto-ui.org/14/submit.php#doctoralcolloquium. Please
stick to the templates to foster consistent  submissions. Each submitted
paper will be reviewed by the members of the doctoral colloquium program
committee.

The position statement should:
+ give a crisp introduction to the field/problem domain,
+ present  key  related  work (current status of the problem  domain and
  related solutions),
+ clearly formulate the research question/approach,
+ point out significance and innovation (expected contributions),
+ describe the research methodology that is applied or planned,
+ outline your  contribution to  the  problem  domain and  highlight the
  uniqueness of your approach,
+ pose questions and issues (that you'd like to discuss at the DC)

In addition, a one page biographical sketch (CV)  should  be  submitted,
including a paragraph stating what you hope to get out of  participating
in the DC.

Please send applications (position  statement,  biographical  sketch) as
soon as possible but no later than August 8th, 2014 to  Andreas  Riener,
Doctoral Colloquium Chair  at  <[log in to unmask]>.  Should  you have
any  questions  don't  hesitate  to contact  me any  time  (at  the same
address).