Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2014 16:44:16 -0500
Sender:
From:
"Craig M. MacDonald" <[log in to unmask]>
***Sending on behalf of a colleague; apologies for cross-postings****

*---*

Dear colleagues,

We are delighted to welcome the 1st workshop on engagement and emotion in
Human Information Interaction, in the context of iConference ’15.

This workshop is an interdisciplinary venue for researchers from Computer
Science, Library and Information Science, Informatics, and Social Sciences,
to share ideas and opinions, and present original research work on studying
the interplay between user engagement, emotions, and information
interaction. The ultimate goal is to develop a better understanding of the
above concepts not just as a technology, but also as human phenomena. To
that end, we are inviting short interdisciplinary position papers that
address the application of information technology in the study of
engagement and emotion, and for informing the design of information and
communication technologies that consider this context.

Please refer to the workshop details below for more details:
http://ischools.org/the-iconference/program/workshops/#workshop10

Regards,
Ioannis Arapakis, Irene Lopatovska, Heather O'Brien

---

iConference 2015, Newport Beach, California, March 24-27,
http://ischools.org/the-iconference/
Workshop: On the Role of Engagement in Human Information Interaction: From
Research to Implementation
Organizars: Ioannis Arapakis (Yahoo Labs), Irene Lopatovska (Pratt
Institute), Heather O'Brien (University of British Columbia)

Every day we spend a significant amount of time online accessing,
interacting with, and sharing information using a broad array of
information resources (e.g., Q&A forums, databases), applications (e.g.,
social networking) and devices (e.g., smart phones).  This abundance of
digital content is problematic for many users, but also information
purveyors, such as libraries and other cultural heritage organizations, and
online search companies, e-commerce firms, educational institutions,
government, etc. Many are asking, “How can information environments be
designed to satisfy functional user and organizational needs, yet still be
emotionally compelling and engaging?”

This half-day workshop aims to provide a forum for researchers, information
and design professionals, and students interested in user engagement and
emotion.  It focuses on subjective experiences with broadly defined
information systems (i.e., the web, digital libraries, museum interfaces).
The format of the workshop includes in-depth and lightning talks and an
interactive session to explore innovate ways to create engaging and
affectively compelling information systems.

We invite brief (1-2 page) position papers that address theory,
measurement, and design in engaging and emotionally salient information
interactions. Questions to be addressed may include:

•       What is the value of developing engaging systems? What do they
contribute to the user experience?

•       What methods and measures are appropriate for evaluating subjective
user experiences? How do we know if they are reliable and valid?

•       How do we design for user engagement? What ethical, cultural,
usability, and aesthetic concerns must be addressed?

•       How do we prevent disengagement?

•       How do we “scale up” small-scale techniques for measuring
engagement and emotion and connect them with large-scale web analytics?

Please use the iConference paper template for your short papers:
http://ischools.org/the-iconference/program/author-instructions/#template
The paper should be submitted to: [log in to unmask]

The deadline for submissions is January 15, 2015

Workshop proceedings will be published in the University of British
Columbia online institutional repository ( https://circle.ubc.ca/ ).