Date:
Mon, 13 May 2013 11:16:45 +0000
Sender:
From:
"Bakker, S." <[log in to unmask]>
*apologies for cross-posting*

DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 20-05-2013!

Peripheral Interaction: Embedding HCI in Everyday Life

Workshop at the INTERACT 2013 Conference September 3rd, 2013 in Cape Town, South Africa

EXTENDED SUBMISSION DEADLINE: May 20th, 2013

NOTIFICATION: May 27st, 2013

http://www.peripheralinteraction.com

In recent years, the concept of interacting with computing technology in the background or periphery of the user's attention is gaining traction.

We call this direction Peripheral Interaction, and see it as a very promising approach to fluently embedding the increasing number of interactive devices into our everyday life routines. This one-day workshop invites researchers and practitioners from different disciplines (e.g. computer science, interaction design, interactive arts, psychology, cognitive science, product design and social science), to share their experiences with human-computer interaction for the everyday routine, and aims to lay the foundations for a structured exploration of the interaction paradigm of Peripheral Interaction.

The workshop is intended to encourage hands-on explorations and discussion about the definition of Peripheral Interaction, its design space and suitable evaluation strategies. Albrecht Schmidt will give a keynote, entitled "Creating Seamless transitions between Central and Peripheral User Interfaces". While the term Peripheral Interaction is not (yet) widely adopted, several design disciplines already address different aspects of the core ideas of Peripheral Interaction (e.g.

ambient information systems, ubiquitous computing, implicit interaction, eyes-free interaction, calm technology). We want to sharpen the focus for Peripheral Interaction by offering a platform for exchange of knowledge and community-building to establish a network around Peripheral Interaction for further collaboration.

***TOPIC***

The comparison of actions in the physical world with actions on interactive devices reveals a remarkable difference. In daily life we easily perform several tasks in parallel, for example when drinking coffee while reading, drinking may be in the periphery of the attention.

Contrarily, we usually have to focus our attention on each digital device we interact with. Given the growing number of devices competing for our attention, novel interaction techniques have to be explored to offer interaction with digital devices in the periphery and parallel to other task.

***PARTICIPATION***

We invite position papers up to six pages in Springer LNCS format. We ask authors to include their personal view and definition of Peripheral Interaction and show how their work relates to that. We encourage bringing a (video-) demonstrator, but this is by no means a requirement.

We welcome participants from a broad range of disciplines including computer science, interaction design, interactive arts, psychology, cognitive science and product design.

Possible contributions may include but are not limited to:

*        Interaction styles and concepts such as eyes free interaction, microinteraction, implicit interaction, micro gestures, peripheral displays, ambient media, awareness systems, gesture interfaces, inattentive interaction, tangible and embodied interaction in related to peripheral interaction

*        Analysis of challenges and opportunities for embedding HCI in everyday life

*        Novel use of sensors and actuators

*        Theoretical positions and evaluation approaches

*        Philosophical, ethical & social implications

*        Discussions of interactive system use in everyday life

*        Prototypes directly or indirectly related to Peripheral Interaction

*        Explorations of attention management in everyday life

*        Design and art work on technology embedded in the everyday environment

*        Relations of peripheral interaction to other paradigms

*        Relevance of peripheral interaction for specific contexts and target groups

*        Work in progress, late breaking innovations

*        Tools to develop everyday interactive systems

***SUBMISSION***

We invite position papers up to six pages in Springer LNCS format, Please send your submissions to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> by May 20th.

Authors will be notified of acceptance by May 27st.

Accepted submissions will be included in workshop proceedings, published as technical report as well as on the workshop's webpage. This webpage (http://www.peripheralinteraction.com) will also host a blog and a forum for a continuation of the community-building on Peripheral Interaction after the workshop.

***ORGANIZERS***

Doris Hausen (1), Saskia Bakker (2), Elise van den Hoven (3,2), Andreas Butz (1), Berry Eggen (2)

(1) Human-Computer-Interaction Group; University of Munich (LMU); Germany

(2) Industrial Design Department; Eindhoven University of Technology; the Netherlands

(3) Faculty of Design, Architecture & Building; University of Technology, Sydney ; Australia

***CONTACT***

More details to be found on the workshop website:

http://www.peripheralinteraction.com

For any further information on the workshop please contact:

Feel free to forward this email to anybody who is working in this field and might be interested in participating.

Saskia Bakker MSc.
PhD candidate at Eindhoven University of Technology
Department of Industrial Design
room hg 2.44
+31 40 247 4019