Sender:
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2014 08:24:47 +0100
From:
Jochen Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Second Call for Papers

Beyond Quantified Self: Data for Wellbeing
Workshop in conjunction with CHI 2014, April 27th, Toronto, Canada

http://BeyondQS.offis.de/

Submission Deadline: Jan 17th, 2014
Notification: Feb 7th, 2014

*** Background ***
Sustaining our health and wellbeing requires lifelong efforts for
prevention and healthy living. Continuously observing ourselves is one of
the fundamental measures to be taken. While many devices support
monitoring and quantifying our health behavior and health state, they all
are facing the same trade-off: the higher the data quality is the higher
are the efforts of data acquisition. However, for lifelong use, minimizing
efforts for the user is crucial. Nowadays, few devices find a good balance
between cost and value. In this interdisciplinary workshop we discuss how
this trade-off can be approached by addressing three topics: understanding
the user’s information needs, exploring options for data acquisition, and
discussing potential designs for life-long use.

*** Topics ***
We solicit position papers contributing to the three main topics of the
workshop:
(1) User - What are the information needs of the end user? This includes
direct needs about what the user wants to know right now. It also includes
indirect needs, i.e. what the user wants other persons like his doctor to
know about his health now or a prediction of the future.
(2)  Data - What are the options for data acquisition? We are interested
in novel and practical forms of direct data acquisition involving e.g.
dedicated sensors and forms of interaction that fulfill the specific
requirements of wellbeing monitoring with respect to usability, acceptance
and daily long term use. Moreover we are interested in "indirect" data
acquisition by analyzing data from sources that was originally intended
for something else like postings in social networks.
(3) Design - How can we design systems for wellbeing? With the area of
tension between data quality and ease of use, we are looking for
approaches and examples that successfully fulfill the user’s needs,
thereby sustaining long term usability in daily life. We are interested in
successful examples of hardware and system designs possibly going beyond
today’s monitoring devices. We are also interested in examples of feedback
and interaction with the user, as visual or non-visual on-device displays,
or as innovative smartphone or PC based systems.

*** Submission ***
We invite researchers and practitioners from different communities
including but not limited to
- life logging and quantified self,
- data analysis,
- health and wellbeing.
Authors should submit non-anonymized position papers of up to four pages
in the CHI Extended Abstract format (
http://chi2014.acm.org/authors/format#extendedformat) to
[log in to unmask] We encourage, but do not require bringing
demonstrators. Papers will be reviewed by the organizers and external
experts according to their significance and quality, to innovation, and to
their potential to stimulate discussions. Please note that at least one
author of each accepted submission must register for the workshop and at
least one day of the main conference.

*** Organizers
Jochen Meyer, OFFIS Institute for Information Technology, Germany
Steven Simske, HP Labs, USA
Katie Siek, Indiana University, USA
Cathal Gurrin, Dublin City University, Ireland
Hermie J Hermens, Roessingh Research and Development, The Netherlands