Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2014 10:35:16 +0100
Sender:
From:
Eelco Herder <[log in to unmask]>
LinkedUp Vidi Competition: Linked and Open Data for Education

*Submission deadline 14 February 2014*
Presentations and awards at ESWC 2014 (25-29 May 2014, Crete)
http://linkedup-challenge.org/

There is just over a month till the closing date (14th February) for the
Vidi competition.

The LinkedUp Project aims to push forward the exploitation of the vast
amounts of public, open data available on the Web, in particular by
educational institutions and organizations.

For Vidi we’re inviting you to design and build innovative and robust
prototypes and demos for tools that analyse and/or integrate open web
data for educational purposes. You can submit your Web application, App,
analysis toolkit, documented API or any other tool that connects,
exploits or analyses open or linked data and that addresses real
educational needs. For Vidi your tool may contain some bugs, as long as
it has a stable set of features and you have some proof that it can be
deployed on a realistic scale.

This time we also have two focused tracks to run alongside our open
track. In these tracks we are asking you to design a solution to the
problem we have described.
- *Simplificator* calls for applications easing access to complex
information by summarizing them in a simpler form.
- *Pathfinder* requires applications easing access to recommendation and
guidance when chosing appropriate curriculum of courses and related
resources.

You can find out more about the focused tracks from the LinkedUp
Challenge website.

The Vidi competition will run from 4th November 2013 till 14th February
2014. Prizes (up €3,000 for first prize) will be awarded at the European
Semantic Web Conference in Crete, Greece in May 2014. You can find out
more details about the catalogue of datasets we’ve collated for you and
ideas to get you started on the LinkedUp Challenge website.

So get designing!

To help you get started, we just published a blog post an overview of
the competition and the resources:
http://linkedup-project.eu/2014/01/06/new-year-vidi-vitals/

More information:

- Find out about the LinkedUp challenge: http://linkedup-challenge.org/
- You can take a look at our new video to get a better idea of what we
are after: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMRnNmNjdS8
- Explore the LinkedUp Data Cataloque:
http://data.linkededucation.org/linkedup/catalog/
- Subscribe to our mailinglist:
- Follow @linkedupproject and #linkedupproject :
http://twitter.com/linkedupproject
- Contact us directly: http://linkedup-project.eu/contact/
- Get more information about the LinkedUp Project:
http://linkedup-project.eu/

Important dates:

- November 2013: Launch of the Challenge
- 14 February 2014: Submission deadline
- 28 March 2014: Notifications and Nominations
- 25-29 May 2014: Presentations and Award Ceremony at ESWC 2014 (Crete)

LinkedUp Challenge Team:

Mathieu d'Aquin, KMI, Open University (UK)
Stefan Dietze, L3S Research Center (Germany)
Hendrik Drachsler, Open Universiteit Nederland (Netherlands)
Marieke Guy, Open Knowledge Foundation (UK)
Eelco Herder, L3S Research Center (Germany)
Sander van der Waal, Open Knowledge Foundation (UK)