From:
Adrian Clear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adrian Clear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2013 16:33:13 +0100
[Please forward to those who might be interested -- Apologies for cross-posting]

Workshop on Green food technology: Ubicomp opportunities for reducing the environmental impacts of food
http://www.scc.lancs.ac.uk/greenfoodtechworkshop/
Zurich, Switzerland. September 9.
In conjunction with Ubicomp 2013, the 2013 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing.
http://www.ubicomp.org/ubicomp2013/index.php

CALL FOR PAPERS

Environmentally sustainable food presents interesting challenges for Ubicomp, given both the complexity of food impacts (direct and embodied emissions spread across production, distribution, consumption, and waste), and of everyday food practices with e.g. social, cultural, economic and practical influences. This one-day workshop aims to develop understandings of existing practices and their impacts, and reflect on how food can profit from novel Ubicomp technology and interaction designs. We suggest the following themes, but welcome interesting and relevant contributions outside these:
Understanding everyday domestic practices and their impacts
Opportunities for food retailers, suppliers, and beyond
Learning from alternative food cultures
Technologies for sustainable human-food interaction

We invite 2-4 page submissions in SIGCHI Archival Format. We encourage submissions from a range of disciplines including, but not limited to, computing, design, sociology, business, agriculture, and environmental science. Submissions will be selected that offer original, well-argued and insightful contributions with potential to generate interesting discussion at the workshop. We intend to select participants to represent a broad range of disciplines and viewpoints. Accepted papers will be published in the Ubicomp 2013 supplemental proceedings and included in the ACM digital library.

Please direct queries and submissions to Adrian Clear ([log in to unmask]). Further information is available on our website (http://www.scc.lancs.ac.uk/greenfoodtechworkshop/). At least one author of each accepted position paper must attend the workshop.

IMPORTANT DATES

Submission: 31 May 2013
Notification of acceptance: 14 June 2013
Camera-ready deadline: 21 June 2013
Workshop: 9 September 2013

WORKSHOP ORGANISERS:

Adrian Clear, Lancaster University
Rob Comber, Newcastle University
Adrian Friday, Lancaster University
Eva Ganglbauer, Vienna University of Technology
Mike Hazas, Lancaster University
Yvonne Rogers, University College London

Adrian Clear

Senior Research Associate
School of Computing and Communications
Lancaster University