From:
Manfred Tscheligi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Manfred Tscheligi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2014 14:04:51 +0200
[apologies for any cross posting]

CALL FOR PAPERS: *Potentials of the ‘Unexpected’ – Technology Appropriation Practices and Communication Needs (November 9th, 2014)* in conjunction with GROUP 2014

DEADLINE: August 1st, 2014 - Submission of Position Papers

----------------------------------

Important dates:

-     August 1st, 2014: Workshop submission deadline

-     August 29th, 2014: Feedback to authors

-     November 9th, 2014: Workshop at GROUP

https://projects.icts.sbg.ac.at/group2014

----------------------------------

TOPIC:

Whether in private or professional life, individuals frequently adapt the technology around them and work with what they have at hand in order to accomplish a certain task. In this one-day workshop, we will discuss how this form of technology appropriation is used to satisfy communication needs. Thereby, we specifically focus on technology that was not intended to facilitate communication, but which led to appropriation driven by individuals’ communication needs.

Our aim is to identify ‘unexpected’ communication needs, to better address these in the design of interactive systems. We focus on a variety of different contexts, ranging from not restricted contexts to environments that are characterized by strict regulations (e.g., production lines with 24/7 shift production cycles). Consequently, this workshop aims at better understanding how users adapt technology to match their individual communication purposes and how these appropriation practices interrelate with and support organizational cooperation.

PARTICIPATION:

We invite scholars and practitioners with a variety of backgrounds, who share an interest in understanding technology appropriation that meets social purposes, i.e., communication and cooperation. Thereby, we would like to encourage interested researchers and practitioners to provide examples of (successful or unsuccessful) technology appropriation for communication needs in various contexts ranging from not restricted contexts to environments that are characterized by strict regulations (addressing either expected or unexpected communication needs).

The workshop addresses the following goals and questions (but is not limited to):

Identifying appropriation practices:

- What appropriation practices may be identified that aim to satisfy communication needs?

Relating appropriation practices to communication needs:

- In what way has the technology been appropriated to fit certain communication needs?

- What ‘unexpected’ communication needs may be derived from these examples? How are these characterized?

Embedding practices and needs into the context:

- How have technologies been ‘domesticated’ in various contexts?

- How do specific contexts with their inherent characteristics imply certain communication channels that lead to these particular technology appropriations?

Deriving an informed basis for research & design:

- What potentials do these experiences have to inform the design of such technologies?

- What can research and design learn from these appropriation strategies?

SUBMISSION:

We invite scholars and practitioners to provide an example for successful or unsuccessful technology appropriation to satisfy communication needs. We also encourage submissions reflecting on theoretical backgrounds to technology appropriation for communication and methodological approaches to investigate respective phenomena. Workshop candidates are requested to submit a position paper (max. 4 pages in ACM Extended abstract format) via email to [log in to unmask] by August 1st, 2014.

The submissions will be reviewed by the organizers with support of other researchers forming a dedicated program committee and selected according to their significance for the workshop topic as well as their potential to inspire discussions. All accepted papers will be made available on the website.

The workshop will be held on Sunday November 9th and workshop fees will be $75 for ACM members and students and $100 for non-ACM members. All workshop participants must register for both the workshop and for at least one day of the main conference. Registration for workshops and the main conference opens

(to be announced).

ORGANIZERS:

Manfred Tscheligi
(HCI Unit, ICT&S Center, University of Salzburg & Technology Experience Unit, Austrian Institute of Technology, Vienna, Austria)

Alina Krischkowsky and
Katja Neureiter
(HCI Unit, ICT&S Center, University of Salzburg)

Kori Inkpen
(Microsoft Research)

Michael Muller
(IBM Research)

Gunnar Stevens
(University of Siegen)

CONTACT:

More details to be found on the workshop website:

https://projects.icts.sbg.ac.at/group2014/

For any further information on the workshop please contact [log in to unmask]