BAYCHI-DR Archives

ACM SIGCHI BayCHI SF Bay Area Design Research (Announcements)

BAYCHI-DR@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Julie Baher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Julie Baher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2014 14:44:38 -0500
All,

Please join us Wednesday, January 15th at 6:30pm, for a presentation from the Design Research BOF. Come learn about "Accessible UX: Including Accessibility in Design Research", presented by Whitney Quesenbery.

Join us at Citrix Santa Clara for snacks and socializing at 6:30pm, and the presentation begins at 7:00pm. See more details below.

Everyone is welcome to attend this meeting. You do not need to be a member of BayCHI to attend this meeting. Feel free to forward to anyone else you think might be interested. We look forward to seeing you there!

Sincerely,
Franci McFarland & Julie Baher, Co-Chairs of the BayCHI Design Research BOF

Accessible UX: Including Accessibility in Design Research
Whitney Quesenbery

It goes without saying that user research and usability evaluation are part of any good UX work. But too often, work on accessibility focuses on the testing systems instead of working with people with disabilities. The results are predictable: technical compliance instead of delightful experiences. Even worse, barriers to accessibility are often baked into the design and difficult to fix at the end of a project.

In her new book, A Web for Everyone: Designing Accessible User Experiences, Whitney Quesenbery and co-author Sarah Horton show how a web for everyone means applying all of our design skills to include people with a broader range of capabilities. This meeting (almost - it's scheduled for the next day) coincides with the book's launch. Come find out how to include accessibility considerations in all our design research tools, learn to communicate what you learn in personas that include people with disabilities -- and be the first to celebrate the new book.

Whitney Quesenbery (@whitneyq) is an author who combines a fascination with people and an obsession to communicate clearly her goal of bringing user research insights to designing products where people matter. She's written three books on the subject, Storytelling for User Experience, Global UX: Design and research in a connected world, and A Web for Everyone, to help practitioners keep users in mind throughout the creative process.

She's also passionate about civic design and the power of UX in democracy. Whitney has worked with election officials on usability and design of ballots and other election materials. She is a co-author of two influential Brennan Center reports that show just how much design matters in elections. She runs theCenter for Civic Design with Dana Chisnell, who spoke at BayCHI in 2012.

Before she was seduced by a little beige computer into software, usability, and interface design, Whitney was a theatrical lighting designer on and off Broadway, learning about storytelling from some of the masters

Complete abstract and bio are also posted here

Directions: http://www.baychi.org/bof/usability/20130220b/directions/

Please note we recently changed our name from the Usability Engineering BOF to the Design Research BOF. In the coming weeks the web site and email list will be updated to reflect our new name - in the meantime please pardon any disparities.

write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link:
http://listserv.acm.org/scripts/wa-ACMLPX.exe?SUBED1=BAYCHI-DR&A=1